Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Easter adventures

Last post 19-04-2007, 5:17 PM by bernacles. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  25-03-2007, 2:23 PM 411

Easter adventures

Hola!

I've had a few (hundred) people enquiring about what exactly the plans are for Easter so here is a brief spiel of said plans:

-originally (and according to the calendar) we were going to base ourselves at a Tongariro-ish location with people going climbing/tramping/doing nothing during the day then everyone amusing themselves in a big group in the evenings. This plan has kind of fallen through as the keen leader people are either on field trips, going to France, or having other adventures. Plus the planned destination, Mangatepopo Hut is a Great Walks hut at that time of year so beyond most people's price range for 4 nights.

-in light of this, and the fact that many of us haven't actually been doing that much actual tramping, I'm planning that we go on a tramp (how novel!!) I was thinking Kawekas (not just because we've been there the last few Easters) but also because there's hotpools and it's cool there.

So the current plan is heading to the Kawekas Thursday night, coming back Monday night and getting some quality tramping in! As with all club trips, there would be range of fitness levels and the like (I wouldn't be opposed to meandering up to the hot pools with some wine and spending the whole weekend there to be honest) so should be an excellent weekend!

If you're keen, I'll start a sign up sheet at the meeting this Tuesday, and if you can't make it there drop me an email on (beattianna@student.vuw.ac.nz) and I'll get some stuff organised!! If you are bitterly opposed to the idea of going to the Kawekas, let me know and maybe we can arrange another type of trip for that weekend too.

Chur chur

Filed under: , ,
  •  26-03-2007, 10:09 AM 417 in reply to 411

Re: Easter adventures

Its also a great chance to get some experience of a longer tramp - particularly if your thinking of going on the week long trip to the south island in the mid-semester break (30 June - 8 July). Carrying 8 days food + winter gear can be a bit of a shock, so this 4 dayer is a nice way to work up to it!

Actually I was thinking of doing a 2-3 day Kaweka/hanging round at the hot pools trip anyway - and then spend a couple of days laxing in Hawke's Bay (home for me), or maybe a roady up Gisborne way where the sun always shines (and if it doesn't there are more hot pools)! So if anyones keen for a really easy option...

There's also tons of wineries in hawke's bay and i've never done a tour - so we could always come out a day early and 'sample' some quality hawke's bay produce!

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
    Filed under: ,
  •  26-03-2007, 12:09 PM 423 in reply to 417

> There's also tons of wineries in hawke's bay and i've never done a tour - so we could always come out a day early and 'sample' some quality hawke's bay produce!

Hmm, whose got a new fulltime job then???  A few Double Browns at the carpark (not for the driver) would be more appropriate

Richie
  •  26-03-2007, 12:22 PM 425 in reply to 423

Double Browns??!! You would do well to know that most wineries in Hawke bay will offer free tasting! 

Trust me, this is a fun and cheep way to deal to a day. You also get to pretend that you know a thing or two about wine (You will forget all of it by the forth winery).

Sorry I won't be part of the fun!

•  26-03-2007, 2:43 PM 431 in reply to 411

You can tent for free around Mangatepopo... just has to be 500m or more from the trail, i was camped out up there for about 4 days over the holidays getting some climbing in and found a pretty sweet campspot up on the ridge behind mangatepopo hut but a bit higher up... it meant a wee walk back to the the hut every now and then to steal their water but we had lots of bottles between us and only had to go back there once.

Ollie
  •  27-03-2007, 8:35 PM 459 in reply to 431

Tarn Hut (on the Puketeraki Range) over looking the Lees Valley is a fine spot to sample some nice Sauvignon Blancs or a Merlot if that is your persuasion.  What better place to have a nice Wither Hills while looking down on some fine withered hills!
  •  29-03-2007, 5:42 PM 490 in reply to 417

Sounds like an excellent idea!

Sammy Roo
  •  02-04-2007, 7:37 PM 578 in reply to 490

Also a last call for people keen for the Kawekas to drop me an email or sign up at the meeting tomorrow night so I can get all the groups and stuff sussed. Should be an excellent trip- it's rumoured there may be a booze delivery into the hotpools on the last night (from people too lazy to tramp all weekend) so should be good times!!! Is also a really neat area and looks like a few different groups of different fitness levels so fun fun fun!

Cheers!

PS: There is no such thing as K'Vegas Sam!! J'Vegas is a recognised place name (it's on Annabel's official atlas) but K'Vegas sounds like somewhere you'd buy sparkly KFC

•  02-04-2007, 9:31 PM 579 in reply to 578

Hey Annabel, I concede, K'vegas does sound like KFC sparkly chicken wings, so I've changed it to Craig Scott's officialy recognised version of "K'Town" for the sole purpose of pleasing you, Annabel, your Majesty!

Sammy Roo
  •  03-04-2007, 10:17 PM 669 in reply to 411

Shawn's car is leaving early Saturday morning, I think there might be 1 more space in it, so If you want to go to the kawekas Sat morning and need a ride then contact Shawn

Cheerio! 

Sammy Roo
  •  05-04-2007, 10:10 AM 677 in reply to 669

Actually Annabelle there is no such thing as J Vegas. I consulted the oracle that is the tussock monster this morning and in his infinite words of wisdom he said it is J'Ville. The acronym that is Vegas has to be tagged onto a tourist town ie Roto Vegas, Franz Vegas, Puna Vegas etc. Since I am in Franz Vegas for a couple more weeks I have to concur with he who knows best. Therefore your dictionary or atlas has got it wrong (yet again), and has to be disregarded and re written. You have to give some sort of sacrifice to the tussock monster for this abomnimation.

•  05-04-2007, 10:15 AM 678 in reply to 677

Sorry I mean Annabel, just had a spinal tap moment there. I should go to spelling school.
  •  16-04-2007, 1:56 PM 779 in reply to 678

Hey Bernie

As the Tussock Monster clearly knows everything, I take back my previous claim!! When are you back up from Franz Vegas? The Tussock Monster is currently very fondue-deprived!!

•  19-04-2007, 5:17 PM 806 in reply to 779

Good on you I trust he enjoyed his sacrificial easter eggs. I'm back next Tuesday and am in dire need of a decent fondue fix haven't had an enticing one for ages.

View as RSS news feed in XML