Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Interested in coming to Arthurs Pass at Mid year (or to the Kaimanawas at QB)?...

Last post 19-05-2008, 5:28 PM by Alyn. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  18-05-2008, 1:45 PM 3187

Interested in coming to Arthurs Pass at Mid year (or to the Kaimanawas at QB)?...

... if so, then come along on tuesday and I'll show a few photos from the Arthurs Pass area to pique your interest in the mid year trip. I've got a smattering of photos from about a dozen trips there, north/south/east west of the park and two mid winter trips. From easy valley wanderings to climbing some of the pointier hills.  As an added bonus you can enjoy  a couple of amusing stories including Ben Clendon, Pete Rowe and Ben Clark reliving a Midnight Express style scenario at Carrington hut.  Saggy, sweaty undies will never be the same again....

I've also thrown in a free short talk about the Kaimanawas as I had some photos I hadn't looked at and the club trip is going there at Queens Birthday.

See y'all on tuesday

Richie
  •  19-05-2008, 5:28 PM 3202 in reply to 3187

Re: Interested in coming to Arthurs Pass at Mid year (or to the Kaimanawas at QB)?...

Yes a meeting not to be missed! Ritchie's photo shows and stories never disappoint.

There will also be sign up sheets for both trips, and for mid winter a call for a $50 deposit will be needed to assist us secure transport bookings, preferably on signing up with the balance payable no later than 10 days before travel.

If at all interested in coming on the mid winter trip to Arthur's Pass then I'd encourage you to sign up irrespective or talk to one of us, it should be a great trip.  We'll also have maps to show the area and some possible trips. You should also consider your desired grade of fitness, remember its 7 days of tramping.   

There will also be a sign up sheet for the first Alpine Instruction Course happening at Ruapehu the weekend before Mid Winter and this course will be required if you are coming on Mid Winter and need to be confident tramping in snow conditions and using crampons and ice axes. Also note that the club will provide these for AIC, Mid Winter and any other winter trips where required.   

If you are interested in coming on the Mid Winter trip then you will be required to do AIC I at Ruapehu the weekend before mid winter unless you have sufficient snow skills demonstrated to the club. This means that those coming on mid winter will be given priority for spaces on AIC I. If you're not coming on mid winter and want to do an AIC then we'll be having an AIC follow up next term.

See you Tuesday.

Alyn
    027 446 5275
    Alyn.Higgins@hospitalitynz.org.nz
View as RSS news feed in XML