Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Crazy tubing adventure + some tramping too

Last post 18-02-2008, 1:51 PM by Alyn. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  15-02-2008, 10:07 AM 2699

Crazy tubing adventure + some tramping too

Hey hey,

Weekend after this (23-24 February) I'm rather keen to go tubing down the Waiohine River in the Tararuas, from Mid Waiohine to Totara Flats. I haven't done it, but by all accounts its a rugged little bit of river with quite a few drops, rapids and long deep gorges so probably not for the inexperienced!

So to come on this trip you should:

• have tubed before (or have other river experience - kayaks, rafting,  etc)
    • be able to get hold of a wetsuit and an inner tube (would recommend testing it yourself first!)

The plan would be to walk in Friday night to Powell hut or Mid Waiohine, tube the river earlyish on Saturday and walk back out from Totara Flats that afternoon/evening.

Let me know if you keen. If this doesn't sound like you we'll also have a tramp or two running in the area - there's heaps to do, including the holdsworth-jumbo circuit (easy), Maungahuka loop (medium-hardish), high ridge (bush-bashing/navigation) and more. We'll see who signs up...

So if any of this appeals come along to the meeting next Tuesday at the pub or flick me an email.

Cheers!

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  16-02-2008, 11:21 AM 2712 in reply to 2699

Re: Crazy tubing adventure + some tramping too

look out for the rapid known as "the brothel" because everyone who goes in comes out f..................
    Richie
  •  16-02-2008, 8:20 PM 2713 in reply to 2712

It is an excellent trip tubing down from Mid Waiohine.  Make sure you do every rapid.  Talk to Jeremy H about it, I did a trip with him and Dan Batten there in February 1997.
  •  18-02-2008, 1:37 PM 2719 in reply to 2712

Sounds great!

Unfortunately it looks like there might be the butt end of a tropical storm coming along on Friday which could make it a wee bit too exciting... will keep people informed anyway (haven't had a confirmed sign up yet) and could always try the weekend after if it all turns to poo.

Will be keen for a tramp anyway!

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  18-02-2008, 1:51 PM 2721 in reply to 2719

Yep, in addition to possible tubing, the calendar trip this week is a Maungahuka loop. Should the tubing still go then there should also be scope to have a Maungahuka trip or some tramping variation depending on sign ups and what people want to do, probably in from Holdsworth. That said, I'll have a sign sheet at the meeting tomorrow night to gage interest or email me if you can't make the meeting.

If interested in tubing talk to Kieran.

Alyn

Chief Guide

Alyn
    027 446 5275
    Alyn.Higgins@hospitalitynz.org.nz
View as RSS news feed in XML