Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

South island summer plans - post details here!

Last post 15-12-2007, 3:34 PM by Annabel. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (32 items)   1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-11-2007, 3:46 PM 2421

South island summer plans - post details here!

Hey with all the people going to be down south over the next few months, would be good to get an idea of what people are up to (and when) so we can coordinate some cool trips!

So post details here (or email me) of when your going to be down there, what you want to do (and how flexible you are), whether you have transport, accommodation etc. And hopefully we can sort out some wicked times! 

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  04-11-2007, 4:07 PM 2422 in reply to 2421

Re: South island summer plans - post details here!

On that note my rough plans are as follows:

Take my car down on 27th December (up to 5 people), head over to Takaka for a few days rock climbing/lying in sun/short tramps/drinking and spend new years in Golden Bay somewhere.

Then start of January (2nd or 3rd) head south for possible Stewart Island trip. This would probably not be the north west circuit (too long and mud filled) and probably won't be the Tin Range I had planned (too expensive to get boat down to south of the island) but will probably involve some cool tramping thru bush, scrub and tops and potentially sea kayaking as well! Would look to spend 7-8 days here.

Then in no particular order would like to do:

• week or so climbing and tramping round Mt Cook national park
    • big trans-alpine tramp to Olivine Ice Plateau (only for experienced - involves glaciers, alpine travel, not much in the way of huts/tracks and probably 9-10 days...)
    • short fiordland tramp (not great walk - any recommendations anyone?)
    • drinking, illegal camping and other road trip activities!

Coming back early February (probably should be back at work by 11th at latest).

So let me know what if anything your keen for (especially stewart island) and can start making plans. I'm pretty flexible so just depends what everyone else is up to!

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  04-11-2007, 5:40 PM 2423 in reply to 2422

Hello,

I will be in the south island from Nov 10th untill mid febuary.

I am keen to head down south, do Stewart Island, tramp around Fiordland and Mt. Cook. The Olivine trip sounds fantastic!

I'm not sure how much time I can take off untill I talk to my potential future boss..

Terra

•  04-11-2007, 6:14 PM 2424 in reply to 2421

Hey all,

I'm goinig to be down south for the summer aswell. I havn't organised much so will hopefully be living the good life having as much time in the hills as possible.

Definitly keen on the end of your trip Kieran..... Mt Cook & Fiordland etc. Give me a yell if you want somewhere to stay on your way through Canterbury as well.

Otherwise I'll be about, so see you all down there,

Ben

Filed under:
  •  04-11-2007, 11:35 PM 2427 in reply to 2421

My southern plans:

Flying to Blenheim on the 27th December (arriving 2 50pm)...(didn't have enough airpoints to make it to Nelson). Would be keen to get a ride to Golden Bay with Kieran, or Timmy/Craig Scott, or Amelia/ Regan...heard that you were going over that way too at that time

Stay with Terra/ on my patch of grass in Takaka...go tramping, climbing, swimming, kayaking, celebrate New Years, leave early Jan for down south when I can get a ride with someone or find a hitching partner.

I want to do some alpine tramping so.... to Mt Cook to visit Annabel and Andrea where could do e.g. Ball Pass/ or Copeland Pass etc to hot pools, then onto Mt Aspiring National Park (Keen to do 4-8 days but not the 9-10 days that Kieran is planning to the Olivine Ice Plateau as not enough time) or Ohau, Fiordland or somewhere (not too keen to do Stewart Is as I will hopefully be going there for work soon anyway...and i want mountains!)

Then I will go back to Marlborough Sounds around the 12th-16th Jan to meet up with my family, then go to Golden Bay with family until the 26th-ish. Then back down South were I could do more tramping or visiting relatives around Christchurch until I fly our from there on the 3rd of Feb back to Wellington.

I haven't got any accommodation or transport arranged (decided that I shouldn't get my dad to take my car across on the ferry), apart from Golden Bay...and everything is flexible apart from the flights!

Looking forward to trying to make people's plans fit together!

Soph

•  05-11-2007, 8:41 PM 2436 in reply to 2427

My Details - Summer Roadie!!

The plan for the mighty 'rolla are currently to head across on the morning sailing of the 27th then head to the portage or some other place in the sounds, pick up some cash crop to pay for the journey, stay for at least a night, check out the Awaroa Inlet, feast on Kaimoana, then head to Goldan Bay. I have a railways house in Nelson we could book for some insanely insane price, if needed. Sarah has to be back on the 6th so we're heading back for that date. I have one Craig, and one Bernard and Maybe a Sarah and Sophie os quite full on the way over.

If anyone is thinking about taking a car across, but the price is a bit restrictive, come and speak to me - I might have a deal for you!!

The period after new year, like most others', is up in the air at this time.

Timmy

•  05-11-2007, 11:08 PM 2437 in reply to 2422

Hi there!

I'm definitively keen on going down for some rock-climbing/drinking at Pynes Ford, and another awesome New Years around Takaka (Mussel Inn?) would be cool! :-P and maybe also keen on the Stewart Island trip...

•  06-11-2007, 12:30 AM 2438 in reply to 2436

Re: My Details - Summer Roadie!!

I have only vague plans at the moment, but I'm keen on heading out to Golden Bay from about the 27th until just after New Year's, then maybe on down to Chch to visit Splat once she gets back from Antarctica, then either out to Mt. Cook to see Annabel or straight back to Welly. Would prefer to get back by about the 10th probably at the latest due to me not knowing anything at all really about what my work situation might be like then.

At the moment I have two options for getting around: flying/ferrying down and then bumming a ride with someone to Golden Bay and then Chch, then flying back to Welly, or bum a car from my parents and make my own way around. This latter option I'd only consider if I had 2-3 other people with whom to spread the costs of getting the car down there.

Timmy I am very keen to hear more about your deal!

•  06-11-2007, 1:29 AM 2439 in reply to 2438

My plans include flying down to M.C.N.P on the 15th of december. climbing for over a month. coming back up to wellington, doing geology field trips.

climbing plans include but not limited to

-twin streams(multi pitch rock climbing)
    -Mt Sealy (fairly easy 3-4 day trip, grade 2ish)
    -Footstool (again but differant route, 2-3 day trip  grade 3+ish)
    -Mt Sefton (4-5 day trip, grade 3ish again i think)
    -Mt Aspiring (?? day trip with NZAC)
    -olivine ice plateau (10 day, insane trip with NZAC)
    -Charleston (trad climbing crag on west coast)
    -Drinking Double Brown

anything else that seems like a good idea at the time!

•  06-11-2007, 1:20 PM 2446 in reply to 2439

Hey Ollie,

I am keen to come on some of your climbing trips. What sort of grades are they? Probably 18/19 is the limit for me... As for alpine I havn't climbed anything over a 2, but seconding I should be sweet to slightly higher.

Terra

•  07-11-2007, 7:28 PM 2450 in reply to 2446

Yeah I don't really have plans either but I've found a money source so now I'm to do some south island stuff!

I'm wondering what would be the best way to get to Takaka for new years - is anyone passing through Nelson that would be able to pick me up if I flew there at the right time? Or does anyone have a space space ina car if I took the ferry? I didn't think I'd be able to go south so not very organised...!

If can't make it down for new years am still keen on doing some southern tramps!

:)

•  07-11-2007, 9:33 PM 2451 in reply to 2450

I'll possibly be taking a car down, Jenny, and I'm looking for people to share the ride to keep costs down/keep me company on the long road to Golden Bay! I should know for sure what's happening in 2-3 days so if you're interested email me through the website or get me on my mobile, which is 021 153 9998. (Sorry I tried to send this message to you by email via the website but delivery apparently failed or something weird).
  •  08-11-2007, 7:06 PM 2456 in reply to 2451

Heyhey

So I'm sure everyone is planning all their journeys round visiting Mt Cook or if you're not you should be!! The sun hasn't stopped shining since I got here (although Andrea assures me she's bringing some rain down with her) and I'm itching to get up into the mountains with some of you lot!! Plus I have been diligently clearing the area of all things pretty for you! Anyway so definitely make sure you somehow time stuff to end up here!! And at weekends cause that's when I can come adventuring too!

But speaking of which, due to the excellent timing of Christmas and New Year's this year I probably won't be round here then (not quite sure what departmental holidays are but they mean I'm going to have about two and a half weeks off!!) Anyway so think Mum is paying for flights for me to get home for Christmas but then am keen for some mad missions somewhere after Christmas, especially if they're down south (although might potentially be heading to Gisborne)!! So keep me posted on the plotting for round then! Think I have to be back at work on 6 January or something if I take a few unpaid leave days.

Hope you're all staying out of (too much) trouble in Wellywood!

•  09-11-2007, 8:30 AM 2460 in reply to 2421

Is anyone going to be at Takaka for new years and then spending just a week or two doing some south island tramps ? It looks like I will be there for new years, won't have a car or anything but am keen to do some tramping so need some others to leech onto! I'm pretty flexible with dates, places etc :)
  •  13-11-2007, 12:35 AM 2472 in reply to 2460

So my final plans are that I'll be taking a car down on 29 December on the Interislander on the 8.25am sailing, probably staying at Terra's in Golden Bay, then returning to Wellington on 6 January on the 10.05pm sailing. If anyone is in need of transport around those times I'd be keen to help as it'd be nice for me to have someone to split the costs of ferry/petrol with. Jenny, do you still need rides around those times?
Page 1 of 3 (32 items)   1 2 3 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML