Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Otaki River Tubing trip

Last post 17-01-2011, 12:16 PM by Richard. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  10-01-2011, 11:52 AM 5705

Otaki River Tubing trip

Hey everyone,

The calendar has a tubing trip down for this weekend, on the Otaki river. My plan if the weather is good is to do the whole stretch from Waitewaewae down to the forks - this involves a 4-5 hour walk in, overnight at the hut and a longish float out (8-10 hours?), so wetsuit definitely required! Its a pretty unique opportunity to see an untracked corner of the tararuas rarely visited by trampers.

Haven't decided yet whether we'll go in on Friday night and out Saturday, or Saturday afternoon and out Sunday... depends a bit on weather I guess and what else people want to do with their weekends - let me know if you have a preference. The club can provide helmets and some tubes, but feel free to pick up your own and test for punctures! (Beaurepairs Kaiwharawhara seems to be the best place, get 16 inch truck tubes from the bin round the back). You need to provide your own wetsuit, they can be hired from dive shops if you don't have one.

Since it is such a long trip with not much in the way of exit points, some prior experience tubing might be a good idea so you know what you're getting yourself into! But if you're keen then don't worry it should be fine :) I'll probably bring my inflatable kayak, various warehouse inflatable things can also be fun - from past experience, lilo/recliners work well, killer whales do not... and be prepared to puncture repair!

Bring a minimum of other gear (light sleeping bag, some food and dry bag), as a big pack is a pain in the river and everything not in a dry bag will get soaked.

If you have any questions, email me at patonomatic@gmail.com or talk to me tomorrow night at the meeting down at the Welsh Dragon Pub from 7.30ish.

Cheers

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
    Filed under:
  •  10-01-2011, 3:42 PM 5706 in reply to 5705

Re: Otaki River Tubing trip

It is looking like Friday night/Saturday, which gives you a whole other day to do something on your weekend! The cost will be something like $10 or $15 to cover fuel to get there. Let me know if you are keen!
    Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  11-01-2011, 6:34 PM 5708 in reply to 5706

A good way to reduce bulk is to use your wetsuit instead of bringing a sleeping bag.  You will thank yourself on the river!

Mikey

michael.instone@hotmail.com
  •  11-01-2011, 10:43 PM 5709 in reply to 5708

Just don't pee in your wetsuit, especially not while sleeping!
    Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  12-01-2011, 6:24 AM 5710 in reply to 5709

I always thought that was the primary function?
    President 2011
    Filed under:
  •  12-01-2011, 7:55 AM 5712 in reply to 5710

Correction: A wetsuits primary function is to keep you warm in the water not to contain your urine. Although this does help keep you warm so it's kind of a moot point :)

Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  12-01-2011, 3:24 PM 5714 in reply to 5712

Peeing on someone else's wetsuit is also frowned upon.

So I've been told.

Richie
  •  12-01-2011, 4:09 PM 5715 in reply to 5714

... unless it is a rental... then it is a prime opportunity for that extra surprise with lasting warmth

•  14-01-2011, 2:48 PM 5717 in reply to 5715

Saturday afternoon trip

Hello all, I am thinking about a Saturday afternoon trip (tomorrow afternoon).  It will be pretty laid back and could be a walk out around Makara way or Eastborne or even a trip to the beach.  Let me know if you are keen for such activities.

Craig

021 04 00 989

•  17-01-2011, 12:16 PM 5725 in reply to 5717

Re: Saturday afternoon trip

Co-incidentally we started tramping on Saturday afternoon/evening too just to stretch the legs out after the tubing.....
    Richie
View as RSS news feed in XML