Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Taranaki expedition

Last post 24-09-2007, 10:44 AM by Annabel. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  18-09-2007, 5:41 PM 2177

Taranaki expedition

Hey, sounds like there's a few people keen for Taranaki this weekend - would be nice to do alpine stuff not on Ruapehu!

Might as well register your interest here or let me know at the meeting tonight, so we can sort out some transport. Am only keen if the weather looks good of course!

I think the idea would be to head up to the summit and camp in the crater, do a bit of climbing and come down again. Syme hut is also an option, and the East ridge could make a nice alternative way up.

Although don't need ropes to get up to the top definetely need to be comfortable with ice axe, crampons and moderately steep snowy/icy slopes to come on this one!

Cheers 

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  19-09-2007, 4:50 PM 2193 in reply to 2177

Re: Taranaki expedition

Will email people tomorrow about this - see what the weathers looking like by tomorrow afternoon and see who's still keen! If it looks like its gonna be excessively windy or rainy/snowy then I'm probably not keen. If we pike on this weekend, would anyone be keen for the weekend after (for those not going to Wharepapa anyway)?
    Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  19-09-2007, 5:14 PM 2194 in reply to 2177

Arr Kieran,

E'd prob'ly bee raally keen tu go thar we'kand arrf tarr, this we'kand might bee arr bet of arr push forr mae.

ARRRRRRH! Ye all bee Swashbucklers!! 

•  19-09-2007, 5:22 PM 2195 in reply to 2194

Hay I would be keen if weather looking good.   Won't be on email tomorrow though but will check email tomorrow night.    Cheers

Jeremy.................:)

•  19-09-2007, 5:30 PM 2196 in reply to 2195

Hello,

I'm sure you know I am very keen by now, but I am just registering my interest to make sure I'm not forgoten about! :)

The only problem is I may have to bail if I do not get started on my GEOG project by tonight/tomorow as dolphins are taking over my life...........

Terra

•  20-09-2007, 5:42 PM 2207 in reply to 2195

Weather not really looking so good, so will postpone this til next week. And if that fails will just give up and go rock climbing!
    Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  21-09-2007, 9:34 AM 2209 in reply to 2207

come to Ruahines instead!!!!

If you were going to go to Taranaki AND have a car then why not come to the Ruahines instead.

There are a few of us heading into the upper Waikamaka/Kawhatau tonight.  Except we have more people keen than seats available.

probably just stay at the hut at the roadend, and look at a medium grade trip (with scope to go harder if people are enthused)

So if you've got a car or are keen then best to reply here or email me at work

Do it.  DO IT.

Richie
  •  21-09-2007, 12:29 PM 2214 in reply to 2209

Re: come to Ruahines instead!!!!

Soft! I hear Crow or McKinnon huts make good Friday night (er saturday morning) destinations! None of this sleeping at the road end business - you might get attacked by a hoard of ravening pirates floating down the Kawhatau on a home made raft!
    Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  21-09-2007, 4:26 PM 2218 in reply to 2214

actually we aren't going to ruahines

We're even softer than you'd imagine Kieran.  We are leaving saturday morning now and going to tararuas.

We might blocakde the Y-Can-I river like the Royal Navy and hang all the pirates.

Richie
  •  21-09-2007, 4:38 PM 2219 in reply to 2218

Re: actually we aren't going to ruahines

Argh the pirates have a secret weapon that could take on any Royal Navy!!

It is the Lentil breathing demon.

•  24-09-2007, 10:44 AM 2227 in reply to 2214

Re: come to Ruahines instead!!!!

Glad to see everyone's not quite as mad as people deciding to go away with Kieran- the captain only avoided a mutiny on that trip by cooking everyone pancakes the next morning!!

Hope you guys had a good trip to the Tararuas!

View as RSS news feed in XML