Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Online trip signup form

Last post 23-12-2008, 4:25 PM by Jason. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-12-2008, 10:52 AM 3975

Online trip signup form

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the time creating a form on the website where people can signup for trips. I'm pretty neutral on the idea but would like to gauge interest from all of you...

If you have an opinion or any thoughts on this post them below :)

Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  11-12-2008, 5:30 PM 3980 in reply to 3975

Re: Online trip signup form

I think anything that might stop people turning up to club nights is a bad thing.

Its better to get new people along to the club and talking to people and finding out about trips before they sign up.

Old crusties can normally sign up via a text, email or talking to someone in the quad anyway.

Also, I suspect, without knowing that if you could sign up online people would either do it late and/or be more likely to pike.

So I'm not a fan.  But I'm pretty crusty these days.

Richie
  •  11-12-2008, 8:31 PM 3983 in reply to 3975

I'm with Richie on this one.   When people sign up for a trip at a meeting its a good chance to get an idea of who they are and which group or fitness to put them in plus they have the chance to ask any questions they have.

Jeremy.................:)

•  11-12-2008, 9:59 PM 3984 in reply to 3983

I agree with Richie and Jeremy.  You want everyone to come along to the meeting before a trip to find out what is involved, and so the trip organizer can see if they are up for the trip.
  •  11-12-2008, 11:23 PM 3985 in reply to 3984

I must disagree :(

Back in our club in Sydney, we had a fully web-based sign up system, which work absolutely perfectly and made it easier for everyone.

Qtn: In the club trip list, the contact details are listed, so... what is stopping ppl from joining a trip without going to the club night?  Please don't see this as a reason to remove contact details, this is one reason i really dislike other clubs.

What the web-based system should actually do, is make it easier for the trip leader to organise the trip, such as having everyone who sign up already listed for a group e-mail, check their profile (with activity/skill level, history, car availability, etc) and have pre-trip gear lists and so on.  It shouldn't be treated as a simple sign up form, but more like a tool that will assist those who have volunteered their spare time for the good of others.

E-mail is already a sign up form.  Lets think more modern ;)

•  12-12-2008, 9:38 AM 3987 in reply to 3985

I will have to put my 10 cents in here.

It is really important for the club to have people turn up to meetings.  We have the meetings to get people involved and meet others, it is the mid week social event.  It is a good opportunity for leaders to meet people and get an understanding of where people are at and their abilities and be able to make decisions about the type of trip to take.  There is nothing like meeting people face to face.  You can make it clear what is expected of them and they can get an idea of what it is about.  I am not sure that we want to become the first online university tramping club in New Zealand.  We could do virtual tramping? Tramping is clearly reality and a sharp reality sometimes.

I am not sure what sort of outdoor activates happen in Sydney? But many of our tramping trips (if not all) are fairly committing where once you are on a trip there are often no easy ways to take out someone who isn’t coping.  Obviously rock climbing is different where someone not coping can sit in the corner or the car.

If can maintain our emphasis on people showing up to meetings it could work as a tool for us.  But if it becomes a tool so that people can skip meetings (plan your tour of NZ online) then that wouldn’t.  Like Richard says, the crustys who can’t make meetings will be in contact, they are well stitched into the club anyway.

•  23-12-2008, 4:25 PM 4016 in reply to 3987

Thanks for you input guys. I was already in the same camp as the majority but didn't want to put my opinion forward in case is bias results. Yes modern technology is cool and can make life a lot easier. But tramping is very physically and socially orientated and that something we want to be encouraging not detracting from.

Thanks agan.

Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
View as RSS news feed in XML