Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

VUWSA Change Proposal

Last post 24-09-2008, 9:37 AM by Kieran. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  24-09-2008, 9:32 AM 3624

VUWSA Change Proposal

Hey guys,

There has been quite a bit of talk in VUWSA (the university student association) about significantly changing the way that clubs are administered (among other things, but it is the clubs part that affects us). In a nutshell they are considering handing administration of the clubs to the university, rather than the students association - which seems odd give they are supposed to be looking after student interests...

This could potentially have a fairly significant affect on the way we operate, are funded, the rules that govern us, etc. Unfortunately there seems to be scant information on what the change would entail and, in the current absence of further details, the committee decided that we couldn't currently support this.

Feedback on the proposal is due by 3rd October, and we will continue to seek information until then and will post on this thread for discussion. Also posted here are the various different views by various different people on the proposed changes...

Cheers

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
    Filed under: , ,
  •  24-09-2008, 9:33 AM 3625 in reply to 3624

From the current VUWSA President (elections held on 3rd October I think):

Dear Club President

You might well be aware of the VUWSA change proposal out for
    consultation currently. Contained within it are potential suggestions
    concerning the operations and staffing of VUWSA clubs support as well as
    other areas of operation.
    We value your input and these services are provided for you guys. If you
    could have a read of the attached change proposal and pass it onto your
    members we would appreciate that. The intention is to make VUWSA
    stronger from this process and allow VUWSA to serve students as best as
    possible.
    Feedback is really important. Send us your views, or book a time to make
    an oral submission on parts or all of the document. It's through the
    collation of the widest set of views on VUWSA's curren/future operations
    that allows the change committee to make the most informed decision. The
    deadline is the 3rd of October.
    if you have any queries please feel free to get in contact with me.

I look forward to your reply

Joel Cosgrove
    VUWSA President
    04 463 6986
    027 563 6986

For direct download:

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  24-09-2008, 9:35 AM 3626 in reply to 3624

Re: VUWSA Change Proposal

From a VUWSA Presidential Candidate:

Dear student clubs,

My name is Jasmine Freemantle and I am standing for VUWSA President for 2009.

Recently VUWSA released a 'Change Proposal' document. This document includes proposals which will have a severely negative impact on your student club.

The document wants to give away administration of VUWSA clubs to the University.

This is the same University who constantly under resources student services. The same University who – in 2008 alone – have tried to scrap programmes in Film and Theatre, and in the Faculty of Education. The same University who increases your student fees every year.

If clubs administration is given to the University, clubs can be sure they'll be next.

The unrepentant author of this document, Sonny Thomas, is standing against me for VUWSA President.

In this year's VUWSA election clubs have a choice. A choice of a President who wishes to safeguard and expand club funding and support from VUWSA. Or, a President who wants to stop VUWSA supporting clubs.

In 2007 the 'A-Team' stood on a ticket of ending VUWSA support for clubs. Members of student clubs turned out en mass to defeat the 'A-Team' and defend clubs funding. In 2008 I call on your club to do the same.

I am the most experienced candidate for VUWSA President. I have been a member of the VUWSA Executive, a rep group President, a member of the Publications Committee, and a Faculty Delegate. Outside of the University I have been Chair of the Aro Valley Pre-School, a committee member on the Aro Valley Community Council, and on the executive of various community organisations.  

I believe it is in your clubs interest to support me for VUWSA President. I am happy to meet with your club if you have any questions.

My contact details are:

Ph: 027 211 7288
    E-mail: jasminefreemantle@gmail.com

Cheers,
    Jasmine Freemantle.

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  24-09-2008, 9:37 AM 3627 in reply to 3624

From Brent Hayward (employed by VUWSA as Clubs Development Officer - this is who we mainly deal with in regards to club funding, etc): 

Hi all,

I understand club representatives are receiving information from various sources concerning the Consultation Document for a Revised Structure of VUWSA Business or more commonly referred to as the VUWSA Change Proposal. I am concerned that there is misleading information within the Change Proposal itself as well as how the proposal has been interpreted by those supplying club representatives with supporting information.

The aim of this email is to examine the content of the Change Proposal as well as its supporting documents including the 2006 Financial Review conducted by Horwath Strategy, the second Financial Review conducted by BDO Spicers in 2008, and the results of the 2006 VUWSA SPAM Survey. Please find these documents attached.

The purpose of the Horworth Strategy was to address the current deficit of VUWSA and to enable the provision of sustainable services to students. The 2008 BDO Spicers Financial Review focuses on the delivery of tasks by the Office Coordinator, the Accounts Clerk, and the external accountant.

The purpose of the Change Proposal is to improve VUWSA’s efficiency and effectiveness”.  This is a great concept that I completely support. It could be expected that a competent proposal would consist of a comprehensive analysis of current practice to give an insight as to what inefficiencies exist. With this foundation set, possible plans of action can be identified and thus consultation sort. Unfortunately the Change Proposal was not conducted by a professional body nor has there been a professional review of the current clubs department.

The Change Proposal has been delivered by the VUWSA executive. It has outlined inefficiencies based on opinion as well as their interpretation of the documents attached. In a nutshell, these are the inefficiencies identified by the executive:

1. Activities Department:

(a) Orientation overspend

(b) Orientation events are failing to attract enough student attendance

2. Clubs Department:

(a)    There is a large crossover of club administration tasks between the Student Union and VUWSA

3. Education Department:

(a)    The Education Office needs strengthening

4. VUWSA

(a)    The current staff structure does not lend itself to the evolving needs or wishes of students

(b)   The current staff structure does not provide sufficient value for resources invested

(c)    VUWSA does not have the internal structures and mechanisms to successfully manage staff

1. (a) Orientation overspend can be confirmed by the basic financial analysis conducted by VUWSA. However the fault of the overspend is not identified. Ultimately the signatories in the VUWSA Executive are responsible for approving all VUWSA expenditure. Both the Horwath Strategy and the BDO Spicers reviews offer solutions for VUWSA to manage its finances more efficiently.

(b) The Change Proposal details that “poor systems mean we are not able to accurately track attendance at Orientation events”. Attendance levels may be down however does this justify disestablishing the Campus Activities Coordinators role? None of the professional reports quoted in the Change Proposal recommend that the role be disestablished. The Horwath Strategy indicates that orientation be potentially scaled down, that VUWSA coat-tail on other gigs in Wellington, and that consideration be given to the provision of more activities outside of the traditional ones (bands, discounted alcohol etc).

The results of the 2006 VUWSA SPAM Survey indicated that students want VUWSA to provide more social activities not less. When asked what current services would students like to see VUWSA provide more of, Student discounts rated highest and was followed by social events.

Perhaps the most alarming statistic is that 30% (over 6000) of students have no idea what VUWSA does. Any reduction in attendance to social events can perhaps be attributed to poor promotion and communication of VUWSA services to its students.

According to the attached documents, a possible solution to making the delivery of activities including Orientation sustainable is to reduce spending on orientation, have robust controls on expenditure, and increase the provision of diverse social events.

1. (a) I am not aware of any crossover of club administration between the Student Union and VUWSA. There is absolutely no evidence provided supporting this claim and my requests for details have been ignored since Thursday September 4th 2008. During my time as Clubs Development Officer, VUWSA and the Student Union have undertaken regular teambuilding days. A prime focus is to make sure that there is no crossover in services delivered by either entity. If crossover exists it is due to the Student Union undertaking tasks already delivered by VUWSA and if this is the case I would consider the Student Union to be acting in bad faith.

1. (a) A professional review has recently been conducted for the Education and Advocacy Department. The major recommendations are to employ a part time Education Coordinator and to have an additional 20 hours administration support.

1. (a) There is absolutely no evidence provided to support that the current VUWSA structure is unable to evolve to meet the needs and wishes of students.

(b) It is stated that there is insufficient value for resources invested. There is absolutely no evidence provided to support that the services delivered by the Clubs Development Officer and Sponsorship and Advertising Manager are insufficient for the resources invested.

(c) Both the Horwath Strategy and BDO Spicers review recommend internal structures and mechanisms to successfully manage staff.

A point to note that there are absolutely no inefficiencies identified in the Change Proposal regarding the role of the Sponsorship and Advertising Manager. Consequently why disestablish the role? Professionals who wrote the Horwath Strategy outlined that “There is huge potential to increase advertising revenue with Salient”. It could therefore be assumed that this position is pivotal to reaching this potential.

The Change Proposal is based on the above inefficiencies provided by the VUWSA Executive. Unfortunately the proposal fails to justify most of these inefficiencies. Given this, how can anyone confidently plan and implement changes based on invalid information?

A professional review of VUWSA services is required to identify inefficiencies and substantiate these. A professional review could also include information that the Change Proposal ignores including:

• Analysis of current system versus proposed system
    • Financial review and projections
    • Final or draft copies of the proposed Service Level Agreements

All concerned including VUWSA staff, VUWSA executive and Victoria University Students deserve the presentation of a quality document substantiating current inefficiencies as well as identifying possible opportunities for VUWSA to deliver services more effectively. With this achieved, students can effectively critique, make informed decisions, and provide valuable feedback to the VUWSA Executive.

If you have any further questions or would like to discuss further please feel free to get in touch.

A reminder that if you would like to make a submission regarding the Change Proposal please email submissions@vuwsa.org.nz

Regards,

Brent

Brent Hayward

Clubs Development Officer

Victoria University of Wellington Students Association

PO Box 600

Wellington

04 4635060  DDI

04 4636716  VUWSA Office

Check out www.vuwsa.org.nz

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  24-09-2008, 9:37 AM 3628 in reply to 3624

From Jasmine again:

Dear clubs,

I support the points that Brent Hayward, Clubs Development Officer, made in his "VUWSA Change Proposal" e-mail.

I am the only VUWSA Presidential candidate opposing the Change Proposal in its current form.

We need to look at providing better clubs support, but not by taking it out of the hands of students.

Kind regards,
    Jasmine Freemantle

jasminefreemantle@gmail.com

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
View as RSS news feed in XML