Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Bushball 2008

Last post 20-05-2008, 3:44 PM by Hazel. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-05-2008, 12:20 PM 3157

Bushball 2008

It is here!! The most premier monumental social event of the year! BUSHBALL 2008. It is happening this weekend on Saturday night and it is going to be massive. Tell all your friends family and even your imaginary friends because they will all be devastated if they miss out!!

So no lame excuses this is an event that you can’t miss! If you miss it you will wonder what everyone is talking about for the rest of the year and you will kick yourself with an old crusty tramping boot

There will be more information to follow this post but the basic things are

• Try to make the Tuesday meeting for more details
    • Tickets will be sold for $5 that will help us recover costs hut hire generator etc
    • We will be meeting at the hunter car park at 12:30pm on Saturday if you have a car bring it. If you don’t just turn up there will space for you (have some cash to pay your nice driver for petrol)
    • We will sell tickets to you on the day so no need to stress or even when you arrive (if coming in later) – ticket numbers are unlimited
    • If you are coming later- put a post on the web as someone else may need a lift too
    • You will need to bring lots of booze
    • Bring lots of friends
    • Don’t forget your basic tramping gear and a tent if you have one

It is going to be absolutely fantastic so don’t miss out!!

Craig Scott

Filed under:
  •  12-05-2008, 12:43 PM 3158 in reply to 3157

Re: Bushball 2008

On the note of getting things organised I am going to need some help early on Saturday morning and I will also need some people to get some items for the event

There will be a group going in early to set up So if anyone could help on Saturday morning for carrying in all the equipment and setting up that would be greatly appreciated. If you could get in contact with me that would be grand. 

If anyone could supply any of the following

• Light fittings. Could be your bedside light or a work light. We need a few
    • 4 Way power boards
    • Music and music playing device (ipod discman) Think party not death metal.
    • Small Jerry cans for petrol

If you can supply any of these could you bring them on tuesday.

Craig

Filed under:
  •  13-05-2008, 3:00 PM 3165 in reply to 3158

ill bring a light fitting tonight, has a good long long cord too. will bring tonight.

i have a spining coloured light and a smoke machine? how much power will u have, smoke machine probably uses a bit of power as it heats up the fog juice into steam.

i have a strobe light too.

Filed under:
  •  13-05-2008, 3:57 PM 3166 in reply to 3165

On the note of the meeting tonight - It will be a good times bushball themed evening and will be pretty festive. So if anyone feels like bringing a few drinks along feel free.

DRINKING TONIGHT - DRINKING IN THE WEEKEND. Life is good!!

Andy: Cheers for that - it would be much appreciated. We only have 900w to play with, I will try to keep the rest of the stuff under 300w but a smoke machine probably would be pushing it or we would be using up too much petrol. But go ahead with the other stuff.

Craig

•  13-05-2008, 5:06 PM 3167 in reply to 3166

I forgot to mention...

Tickets will be on sale tonight for $5. So come along and get your tickets! Your tickets will not only go help pay for the costs of this fabulous event anything extra we collect will go into food for a BBQ. Don't forget while we may try to put on arrival drink this won't go far and will be shared evenly, Bushball is BYO and your $5 does not buy you drinks for the night so don't go thirsty Bring Your Own Grog! So get your tickets early!!

For those who can't make it tonight or are not sure about the weekend yet. We will be selling tickets at the Hunter Carpark on Saturday and at Bushball on the night. So the main thing is just make sure that you come bringing a manajory, Noah's arc and a zoo with you.

See you all tonight or in the weekend!!

Craig

Filed under:
  •  13-05-2008, 9:37 PM 3169 in reply to 3167

I hope it all goes spiffingly - sorry I can't be there!

And just remember everyone - a wise man once said - "a window is not a door".

Craig Ryburn
  •  14-05-2008, 9:54 PM 3173 in reply to 3169

Does the idea of attending the food show on Sunday appeal to anybody else's tastebuds? It runs from 10 til 6, but I think if we arrived around 12, we could still get a good 6 hours of eating in. Tickets are $20 and are available at the gate. No decision is necessary until Sunday morning. Just putting the idea out there...

Filed under:
  •  15-05-2008, 12:58 PM 3176 in reply to 3173

Re: Bushball 2008 - Maps

Ok guys

Here are the maps of how to get to this fine event. If you are coming at 12:30 don't worry there will be plenty of people who know where they are going. But if you are a driver or are coming in later you may wish to have a gawk. Click on the picture for a bigger image

Please note that the gate to the catchpool valley road closes on dusk. That would be around 5:30 - 6:00pm at this time of the year. If you arrive and the gate is closed you will have to park outside it and walk down the road to the track start.

Map of how to drive there             Map of how to walk from the carpark to the hut

•  15-05-2008, 7:18 PM 3180 in reply to 3157

Does anyone know how feasable it is to go in and back out from bushball in the same night. Ive got friends who wanna come in but dont wanna stay the night for lack of gear and love of their own beds. Plus the drunken stumble back out could be epic funtimes.

Thanks!

Martin

•  15-05-2008, 8:58 PM 3181 in reply to 3180

Entirely feasible if you're keen and you have a torch. Just remember that the main gate to the park closes at dusk and doesn't re-open again until dawn, so if you park inside this you won't be able to get out with a vehicle, but there's nothing stopping you from leaving your wheels at the gate and walking on the road for a bit to and from the start of the catch pool track to the hut. All up it should be no more than an 1 & 1/2 walk each way on a good well marked track. Also be aware of police check points on the roads back if drinking.   
    Alyn
    027 446 5275
    Alyn.Higgins@hospitalitynz.org.nz
    Filed under:
  •  16-05-2008, 10:07 AM 3182 in reply to 3167

As you're all aware from earlier postings about this fab event there is to be a BBQ and you are encouraged to bring some food for this if you want, though we also hope to have enough leftover $$ in the kitty to be able to put on a few sausages.

But to make this easier we are struggling on a suitable BBQ that we can carry in. This would need to be a suitably portable one such as the round small LPG types.

Would anyone out there be able to lend us one to the cause? The club would reimburse LPG costs.

Any offers greatly received.

Contact me at alyn.higgins@hanz.org.nz or 027 4465275

Alyn
    027 446 5275
    Filed under:
  •  16-05-2008, 3:25 PM 3183 in reply to 3182

As you all prepare for Bushball just remember a few simple and common sense measures.  While we encourage drinking, partying and general madness look after yourself and take care not to over indulge and put yourself at risk.

Make sure someone knows where you are going just like any other outing into the bush, such as a friend, family member or flatmate particularly with the numbers of people.

Make sure you have appropriate tramping gear - look at our gear list and check that you have a raincoat, torch, sleeping gear and warm clothes as it could be a little chilly. There is also a small river crossing.

Look out for each other and make sure others are OK.

We want everyone to have a good time and enjoy themselves.

See you all there.

Alyn
    027 446 5275
  •  16-05-2008, 5:27 PM 3185 in reply to 3182

Thanks for the offers of a BBQ. We're all sorted now. See you at Bushball.

Alyn
    027 446 5275
  •  17-05-2008, 9:02 AM 3186 in reply to 3185

hey i was wondering if you could give me real basic instructions from A) when we reach Petone fore shore and then from the carpark as in what track to take... sorry im uber rubbish at reading maps and im not too sure about the skills of others that im coming in with later lol.

Thanks  

Anna 

•  19-05-2008, 11:10 AM 3189 in reply to 3186

Hey all!

I trust everyone had a great Bushball? It was pretty epic and a great time

I would like to thank our wonderful social convener Amelia Opie for her fabulous effort in gluing all the bits together to make it all work

And a thank you to the following people who's help made the event possible by lugging large amounts of junk setting up or even organising Keg transportation and cooling (big cheers Regan)

Regan, Mike, Jeremy, Amelia G, Simon, Ollie, Robert, Scott T, Guy, James, Kit, Jess, Kieran, Alyn, I hope that is everyone..

Lost property

There is probably a fair amount of lost property out there and much of it is my personal property. I would really like it all back. I also have a pile of stuff that belongs to people that kindly leant things to me.

This Tuesday's Meeting could everyone bring their randomly acquired items and come and look for their lost stuff.

Among things I have - I have someone's orange head torch

On a side note. I lost a serrated knife with a white handle that sort of looks like a butter knife back on the gourmet tramping trip. I would really really really like it back and was hoping it would turn up till now

Thanks all for making it a great event!!

Craig Scott

Page 1 of 2 (18 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML