Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Skiing this winter anyone?

Last post 14-04-2008, 11:43 AM by Annabel. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  28-03-2008, 3:56 PM 2926

Hey,

was just wondering if anyone else is planning to get away skiing much this winter? I was thinking of getting a season pass for Ruapehu, but theres not much point if no one else does!

They're significantly cheaper if you buy them by 30 April - $409 or $359 for students as opposed to $719/$619 respectively from May 1st! And given a day pass is $83 it doesn't take much skiing to make it worthwhile...

Also its handy for climbing, as you can get to the bottom of the climbs on Ruapehu real fast while laughing at the suckers who have to walk up thru the skifield for 2 hours! And don't worry if you haven't skiied much/ever I only picked it up in the last couple of years.

Let me know anyway, I should also be able to take a few days off work for mid-week missions or extended weekends to avoid the crowds.

Cheers,

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
    Filed under: , ,
  •  29-03-2008, 12:01 AM 2927 in reply to 2926

Re: Skiing this winter anyone?

Andrea and I plan on doing a bit of skiing this year - she even convinced me to buy a pair of skis (Ski and camp have closed down and had a sale on a few weeks ago :p)

... now just need some touring bindings, skins and a way to make them fit my mountaineering boots...

Ollie
  •  29-03-2008, 11:31 AM 2928 in reply to 2926

Yes I'm keen for the season ticket for Ruapehu.  Of course I will need boots skies and poles before then.  If someone has this stuff lying around let me know.
  •  29-03-2008, 2:09 PM 2929 in reply to 2926

Yep, could be keen. Hadn't thought about it but if i'm going climbing.... why not ski there, Best of both worlds
  •  31-03-2008, 8:50 AM 2932 in reply to 2926

I'll be there with my season pass!

Snowboarding i hope! Only done one day but it was good fun.

Skiing I've done lots, so maybe a few days of that.

•  31-03-2008, 9:22 AM 2933 in reply to 2932

Now I know that most members of the VUWTC are hard as nails but for those that don't want to sleep in the snow ( or day shelters! ) etc, one of the best value places I've fouind for skiers / boarders is Slalom lodge. They have drying rooms and a Bar etc etc and it is about as cheep as you will find in the area for 4 walls and a roof ( $ 24 per night ).  I stayed there a fair bit last season and reckon you can't go past it. also only 15 min to the top-o-the-bruce ( it is near Rarimu north of National Park)

http://www.slalomlodge.co.nz/

Just so that you all have another option other than the cold!!

Heres hoping for a bumber season!!!

Cheers

Paul 

•  31-03-2008, 4:52 PM 2937 in reply to 2926

I've set myself some new goals and one of them is to learn (well begin to) to ski this winter. So I'll be buying a season pass and heading up every so often. Is there anyone who already knows how to ski who would be willing to teach me the basics for a couple of hours every so often? It wouldn't be all day so you would have time to go and do your own stuff on the mountain. I would pay them of course. I realise both fields offer lessons etc but I haven't enjoyed these so much in the past. If your interested, could you send an email kgiven@xtra.co.nz

Katherine

Katherine Given, kgiven@xtra.co.nz
  •  31-03-2008, 6:50 PM 2938 in reply to 2926

Oooh yes, I am definitely in for some season skiing this year! Really didn't get around much on the two planks of wood the last two years, and of course it's so handy for climbing...

Andrea

•  06-04-2008, 11:38 PM 2989 in reply to 2938

Another option instead of buying a season pass is get some ski touring gear and just skin everywhere, avoid the lift queues and get off the mail trails (well, all the trails really)

Im starting to lean that way myself - less people to laugh at me falling over im sure! 

•  14-04-2008, 11:43 AM 3018 in reply to 2989

After some extensive research (aka bumping into one of my most reliable season pass buddies from last year on Sat night) I'm definitely getting a season pass for this winter so make sure you do too!! I only have two scheduled classes next trimester so will be keen for many a mountain mission and have already begun dances to snow gods for lots of powder this season!
View as RSS news feed in XML