Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Snow caving

Last post 16-08-2007, 8:41 AM by craig. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-08-2007, 1:29 PM 1863

Snow caving

Hello all

Snow caving is happening on the weekend of the 18th 19th of August.  Snow caving is an awesome trip and a really good chance to build on your alpine skills and have an awesome snow caving experience.

This year we are running Snow caving to the Summit Plateau of Mount Ruapehu! 

A certain amount of experience is required for this trip.  So if you have been on one of the clubs alpine instruction courses (or have similar type of experience) that is awesome.  If you haven’t done any thing before but are still keen to come.  We have some limited places on the trip and we will run you through the skills we teach on the Alpine instruction course.

It will be an awesome time, So if you are keen come along to Tuesday meetings to sign up or get more information.  Or send me an email

Craig

•  06-08-2007, 2:11 PM 1864 in reply to 1863

Re: Snow caving

Also, for those of us who cant hold down proper jobs/are students, Im planning on staying up for 2 more days (until tuesday night)

In this time I would be keen for either playing round on either some ice gullys around the plateau or head down into mangatepopo valley for some trad climbing. rock/ice climbing experiance is a must for this though - and more than just an occasional lead climb out the back of fergs.

Another thing - we will be meeting up with the auckland tramping club on the summit plateau and playing cricket against them. i think we are screwed... can anyone catch/throw a ball?

Ollie
  •  06-08-2007, 3:02 PM 1865 in reply to 1864

Hello,

I have probably told both of you nemerous times, but I am definitly interested in both the snow caving and ice climbing and rock climbing!! So count me int! :)

Also, Ollie, what are your plans for down south these holidays? And is the Ngarahoe trip still planed for the 1st and 2nd of Sept?

Thanks,

Terra

•  07-08-2007, 7:53 PM 1876 in reply to 1863

well,i couldnt make the meeting tonight but id def like some more info on the trip as im sure as keen on going.

Although I barely have any xp lead climbing i might be interested in staying one or two days longer to go skiing,have some other people who would be keen on that aswell.

so,fire me some info and im sure to sign up.

p.ziegler@telia.com 

•  07-08-2007, 11:41 PM 1877 in reply to 1876

According to the calender, there is no longer a trip going to ngarahoe on the 1-2nd september, i think kate was down for organisning that, she cant do it and no one else has taken up the reigns.

By all means, if the weather is good, go for it!
    Filed under:
  •  14-08-2007, 10:54 AM 1922 in reply to 1877

copied from the AUTC website

"Hi folks

This is your Trip Officer Owen here. I’m summoning a team of AUTC hard men and tough women to repeat the legend of taking on the foolhardy trampers from Victoria University of Wellington (that’s right, if they don’t put Wellington in their name, no one would have a clue where the hack Victoria Uni is) at a game of cricket on Ruapehu Summit Plateau. The thugs of VUWTC will be up there as well, that means we’ll need to compete them for drinking and silly games throughout the night to wear them down. The game will be played Sunday morning once the sunshine light up our caves and it’ll be the showdown to let those Wilies know we are the true Lord of High Altitude Cricket. Please email me if you want to represent our beloved club. Not just cricketers can partake the legend. We definitely also need porters, cheerleaders, people with vision and inspiration, binge drinkers and hardcore cave diggers.

Ask not what your club can do for you, ask what you can do for your club"

Right - this is getting serious! (as serious as it can get seeing we are being challanged by a bunch of Jafas)

I think Regan alone could take them all on the binge drinking, portering and perhaps cheerleading fronts!

Filed under: , ,
  •  14-08-2007, 11:21 AM 1926 in reply to 1922

Hello Ollie,

I'm a hopeless cricket player and binge drinker, but hopefully my cheering and digging skills will be of use :)

Terra

•  14-08-2007, 11:38 AM 1927 in reply to 1926

Terra Dumont:

Hello Ollie,

I'm a hopeless cricket player and binge drinker...

Terra

you have about 3 more days to practice!!! far more important than any tests or assignments you have coming up!
  •  14-08-2007, 6:02 PM 1933 in reply to 1863

I always fancy the slap of leather on willow, but looking at this forecast the covers might be on the pitch by sunday morning, and it'll be cucumber sandwiches and tea in the Long Room.

That's a real shame, especially as I am far too old for binge drinking.

Richie
  •  15-08-2007, 11:31 AM 1937 in reply to 1933

Hello Ollie,

What are the plans for Mon and Tues? You still keen to stay up on the mountain or go climbing at Mangatepopo?

Terra

•  15-08-2007, 5:38 PM 1940 in reply to 1937

hey hey - at the moment looks like we will be staying up the mountain! just sorting out who is keen, whos got cars and stuff like that... gotta make sure that we have enough cars going back on the sunday night etc.... your still keen i take it?

the weather for monday tuesday is looking pretty sweet :)

Ollie 

•  15-08-2007, 10:02 PM 1945 in reply to 1940

Hey Ollie/ Craig,

I have a car that can take 5 (or 7 people Mafia ganster-style eh Craig?), that I would like to take, leaving 5 30pm Hunter carpark and will be returning sunday evening. I will also bring my tent....but a squishy snow-cave does sound good, so tent only for emergencies.

Soph

•  16-08-2007, 8:41 AM 1946 in reply to 1945

It is all in hand, expect an email from me later today about transport details etc...

Also if you havn't replyed to my email (or haven't got it) get in touch with me by the end of the day otherwise I will assume you are not comming

Craig

View as RSS news feed in XML