Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

SAPCES ON OFFICIAL NON-CLUB EASTER TRIP-Tararuas

•  26-03-2007, 11:35 PM

SAPCES ON OFFICIAL NON-CLUB EASTER TRIP-Tararuas

If you are still planning your Easter tramping trip- then maybe you would like to hop onto our one?

I have got two non-tramping club friends coming on this tramp with me already but.....I've got  1-2 spaces left going to do part of the famously famous Southern Crossing in the Tararuas just north of Welly 6-8 April. It's not a hard trip, but I do want people who like a quickish pace!

Why would you want to go anywhere else?  Well, It will probably be incredibly busy in the huts, and the Easter traffic on State Highway 1 might mean we never arrive BUT.....this tramp gets up as high as possible in the Tararuas (1500m -ish) with great walking along and up ridgetops, alpine huts etc.

The Plan Stan:

Friday morning early Otaki Forks-  Fri night Kime Hut (6hrs uphill)

Saturday Kime Hut-  Mt Hector return (Alpha Hut day visit?) (8+ hours possibly)

-Sat night Field hut (oldest hut in the park)

Field hut- Easy walk back to Otaki Forks Sunday morning (3 hours downhill). back in Wellington early afternoon

Petrol should cost about $10 each, the huts cost $5 ($10/ two backcountry huts tickets). We will go shopping for the main food just before the tramp in Paraparaumu, but bring  your own snacks, extra food...

We have a map, cooker, billies, a tent just in case, all you need is sleeping bag....pack... couldn't be easier.

Get in touch with me (029 894 0847/ 479 8488) or sophie.allen@maf.govt.nz

if lots of people are interested, we could try to get another car to come.

Filed under: , ,
View Complete Thread