Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Crazy tubing adventure + some tramping too

•  15-02-2008, 10:07 AM

Crazy tubing adventure + some tramping too

Hey hey,

Weekend after this (23-24 February) I'm rather keen to go tubing down the Waiohine River in the Tararuas, from Mid Waiohine to Totara Flats. I haven't done it, but by all accounts its a rugged little bit of river with quite a few drops, rapids and long deep gorges so probably not for the inexperienced!

So to come on this trip you should:

• have tubed before (or have other river experience - kayaks, rafting,  etc)
    • be able to get hold of a wetsuit and an inner tube (would recommend testing it yourself first!)

The plan would be to walk in Friday night to Powell hut or Mid Waiohine, tube the river earlyish on Saturday and walk back out from Totara Flats that afternoon/evening.

Let me know if you keen. If this doesn't sound like you we'll also have a tramp or two running in the area - there's heaps to do, including the holdsworth-jumbo circuit (easy), Maungahuka loop (medium-hardish), high ridge (bush-bashing/navigation) and more. We'll see who signs up...

So if any of this appeals come along to the meeting next Tuesday at the pub or flick me an email.

Cheers!

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
View Complete Thread