Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Ski/snowboard buddy

Last post 22-09-2008, 1:38 AM by powers. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-08-2008, 10:08 AM 3434

Ski/snowboard buddy

I go up to mt ruapehu most weekends and I want someone to share the lonely drive with and ski with! I have accomodation sorted for every weekend.  Who would like to come next weekend? :)

•  14-08-2008, 6:56 PM 3450 in reply to 3434

Re: Ski/snowboard buddy

Hay Lisa,

If you've got accomm during the week then I'm heading up 2nd week of hols for 3 days if my boss would be so kind as let me off work.

At present I'm going alone, but in future im keen for the weekend trips anyway!

I'm not a ski-er though. Planning on trying sometime mind..

Corey

Do you enjoy being you?
    Thats all that really matters :)
  •  15-08-2008, 5:55 PM 3455 in reply to 3434

Hi there. I also do this so would be keen to share the drive. I always go to Turoa and am still on the learners slopes at present. I can't do it this weekend (am in Hong Kong & then Melbourne) but it would be good to do this sometime.
    Katherine Given, kgiven@xtra.co.nz
  •  16-08-2008, 2:25 PM 3457 in reply to 3455

I'd be keen to head up in the second week too. let me know when your going. Sarah
  •  16-08-2008, 3:39 PM 3460 in reply to 3457

Hi,

Yes, there is at lot of snow up there, so it is definitely worth going to Ruapehu!

I would be interested to join you for 2 (max.3) days for a trip there. I am off from Monday (18/08) afternoon on until the end of the uni holidays (31/08). I have stuff to do for uni, but if conditions are good I would love to go skiing. it could be anytime during the uni holidays (preferably when there is NO wind up there and some sun!) , so let me know when you go. I am a experienced skier and love the snow. I have no car unfortunately.

I think, the Vic Snowsport Club is going up in the second week of the holidays, which could be an option too, to go to the mountain.

Cheers,

Pascal.

mail: reilinpasc@student.vuw.ac.nz
  •  16-08-2008, 5:25 PM 3463 in reply to 3460

Heya,

Here's my thoughts and ideas and rambles

I've got a roomy falcon with a big boot. Depending on how many of us there will be could be a squeeze if you've got ur own skis/snowboard but I should be able to overcome that obstacle should the need arise! Its good on gas on long trips (aka up to the mount!) so thats all good :D I  just counted too and there's five of us talking about going up on this forum so that would be a good figure to keep travel down

I'm thinking of going Tuesday 26th - Thursday 28th but I'm easy. Just got to convince my boss that only working 2/5 days is fine :P

The Vic Snowsport Club has access to a 32 bunk lodge on Whakapapa so maybe we could chat them up? especially if they're going up 2nd week anyway. Good thinking Pascal. Otherwise the backpackers are cheap as lots of chips.

I think thats about it for the mo. Cool

Corey

Do you enjoy being you?
  •  18-08-2008, 12:51 AM 3464 in reply to 3463

Hi,

Yes, Tuesday to Thursday sounds good. We just have to check the weather conditions before going. The ski fields are all closed at the moment, too much snow! The weather seems ok for the mid-week, but not great. We have to check again tomorrow, Monday. I am flexible when to go. I am just pretty busy at the moment because I have to hand in an essay Monday afternoon. I don't have skis, I would have to hire them there. I can maybe arrange accommodation in Ohakune, I don't know yet. I have to check on Monday with my flat-mate.

Let's have a chat tomorrow about the trip. I would be keen to go up to the snow.

Bye,

Pascal. 

•  18-08-2008, 11:52 AM 3466 in reply to 3464

Hi,

it's me again. Check Turoa report from today: "...Drop what you are doing and head to Turoa ASAP!!! Today will be the best skiing and riding on the most snow we have seen here for years!! Don't miss it..."  ---> whole report here: http://www.mtruapehu.com/winter/turoa-report/

Doesn't it sounds awesome?! Most lifts in Whakapapa in Turoa are closed today because they have to be dig out of the snow!! They should open tomorrow. We should seriously consider to head up to the mountain asap. So, let me know what you're thinking.

Cheers,

Pascal. 

•  18-08-2008, 12:37 PM 3467 in reply to 3466

Hey.  I'm piking on the snowboarding trip, due to finances, but have an awesome time

s

•  18-08-2008, 4:35 PM 3468 in reply to 3466

It looks B E A utiful!

My flatmates going up tomorrow :( jelous!

How about the weekend? I'm still keen for  3days so Friday or Monday aswell? Meant to be light snow all week so will be some nice powder days :D

Got a family Dinner tomorrow night I think, not 100% on that though.

Corey

Do you enjoy being you?
  •  18-08-2008, 4:38 PM 3469 in reply to 3467

Gutted Sarah, I can understand the poor-ness though!

Next time :)

Corey

Do you enjoy being you?
  •  18-08-2008, 4:51 PM 3470 in reply to 3469

Hi guys,

A group of us head up any weekend we can, usually leaving early(5am) Saturday and coming back Sunday evening. We stay at The Crossing backpackers.

Most often we have 4 in the car, but I'll be sure to post when we have a space free!

Where do you others stay?

Filed under: , ,
  •  18-08-2008, 6:47 PM 3471 in reply to 3470

Hi all,

Thanks, for your info. Yes, I am always interested to go. But as I am off at the moment and as the conditions are perfect at the moment, I really would like to go as soon as possible. Have you seen the webcam from the mountain, today? It looks awesome! The weather looks ok, and the snow conditions are exceptional for NZ. I want to put my traces in the fresh powder before others do! It does not look like there is a lot more snow coming in the next days. Are you sure, you don't want to go Corey (or others)? Do your flatmates have any space in the car for me tomorrow? Please let me know (02102326452).  Thanks.

Bye,

Pascal. 

•  20-08-2008, 4:55 PM 3478 in reply to 3471

Hey all! 

I'm still heading up next week :)

Tuesday-Thursday is the plan. Staying at a backpackers of some form or discription. Its forecast to snow over the weekend and some on Monday so should be nice and powdery :D (assuming the forecast is right :S chances are...)

I've got a big car that needs filling so if anyone wants to join me my cellies 021 339 705

Cool!

Corey

Do you enjoy being you?
  •  21-08-2008, 11:02 AM 3482 in reply to 3478

Just to confirm all that- it is AMAZING up there at the moment, we've just got back from a few days. I had the best day up there of my entire life on Tuesday- there's jsut so much snow you can go explore all these places normally covered in rock. People were skiing along beside teh Bruce Rd pretty much to the bottom, it's awesome!! So definitely get up there if you've got the chance!
Page 1 of 2 (30 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML