Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The trimester II calendar is now online

Last post 14-07-2012, 10:52 AM by achim. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-07-2012, 1:28 PM 6370

The trimester II calendar is now online

The new winter calendar is online - have a look: http://vuwtc.org.nz/cs/content/EventCalendar.aspx
  •  11-07-2012, 7:56 PM 6371 in reply to 6370

Mid Winter Christmas

Also we are now taking sign ups for Mid winter christmas: Sign up here

Mid Winter Christmas is on the Saturday 21st - Sunday 22nd of July. Mid Winter Christmas is an easy tramping trip where we walk for approximately 5 hours to a hut We then get a fire going, cook some great food, drink some fine beverages and have a merry old time. It is even rumoured that santa will pay a visit

More details to come shortly

•  14-07-2012, 10:52 AM 6372 in reply to 6370

Snowy Tararuas – Maungahuka Hut

Hi there!

The weather is .... this weekend (July 14th), so I did the research for the 'Snowy Tararuas' trip (27 to 29th of July) today.

Maungahuka Hut is a well built hut at 1300m with a beautiful view north towards Arete, Mitre and Holdsworth - but without heating! (DOC web page) The hut is located next to the (infamous) Tararua Peaks (steel ladder!), which become pretty dangerous to pass in icy conditions, so we take another track (this time). I reckon the safest and 'easiest' approach will be from the Wairarapa side via Cone (1080m) and Neill Forks Hut (guess the hut's altitude...) as it has only short sections over exposed places.

The Saturday tramp to the hut sums up to 1900m climb in two ascents, a couple of 100 meter-bumps are not accounted for. Please consider yourself as solid medium fit (definition see here) and have a good attitude to sore legs. So it will be an 5 to 8 hours tramp and will try to arrive before sunset, that means we leave on Saturday at 7AM from Wellington. Sunday will be the same way back (only one 700 m ascent, but much more downhill).

I have to pay tribute to Manoel Beer: He convinced me that this place must be awesome on a sunny snowy day... see the picture on the DOC hut web site.

(Disclaimer: VUWTC is not sponsored by metservice, so this plan is made for a sunny weekend with some days of snow down to 1000m before, there is no guarantee...)

Filed under: , ,
View as RSS news feed in XML