Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Buying a tent - should I go Mac-crap?

Last post 31-10-2009, 2:30 AM by tombelgrano. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  24-10-2009, 11:10 AM 4805

Buying a tent - should I go Mac-crap?

Ever since Macpac got subsumed into the soulless lifesucking entropy force that is Crap-mandu, I have worried a little about the quality of their materials. I am now buying a tent - and tents are on sale at Macpac - but I am slightly uneasy about buying a Minaret these days. Can anyone set my mind at ease? Or is there anyone out there with a cautionary tale on the current state of their products?

Filed under:
  •  24-10-2009, 11:17 AM 4806 in reply to 4805

Re: Buying a tent - should I go Mac-crap?

How much is a minerete on sale for?

•  24-10-2009, 3:34 PM 4807 in reply to 4806

Five or six hundred, I think... 30% off anyway.

•  24-10-2009, 4:56 PM 4808 in reply to 4807

I would get one.   Can't really get a better tent.   Probably won't be able to get such a good tent in the future.   Get one while you can.

Jeremy..............:)

•  25-10-2009, 2:14 PM 4809 in reply to 4805

My 2c, Minaret is a excellent tent, the workmanship quality difference between the club ones and the new ones is probably negligible. It is definitely worth checking the ratings on both models though, they will be identical i expect. Katmandhu already makes a line of *** tents, they dont need another one i guess!

I would also say...buy an msr hubba hubba hp from the states. :) or just have a look through the vaude and exped range (vaude Taurus Ultralightexped polaris, exped sirius 2 extreme). Sales are harder to come by but you can get 3-4 season tents for <2kg. The Minaret is pretty light at 2.6? i think, but 1.8kg is really nice :) 

A guy told me about NZ made garage style tents that are suuuuper light and good quality, dont know anything about them though? Worth looking into maybe. But if you have a states contact. The tents are about 1/3 the price, shipping would not be too bad if you got a friend to send it or free if they take it over.

But failing that buy that Minaret!

President 2011
  •  25-10-2009, 2:34 PM 4810 in reply to 4809

If you get something lighter than a minaret your probably getting something that wont stand up to the uv we get in New Zealand.   If you plan to use it mostly in New Zealand I would buy a tent designed for the conditions here.   It might not be the lightest tent but it is the best tent you can get for the conditions here.   Though also buy a 2 man dome tent from The Wharehouse for summer camping and trips to the bay etc.   No point pitching a Minaret for a week in the sun then trying to get in and out and have enough room when a better tent for such things can be got for less than $50.  And you Minaret will last twice as long too.

Cheers

•  25-10-2009, 2:48 PM 4811 in reply to 4810

Liking the Minaret more and more...get it Kate! then lets go Ski-Climbing!
    President 2011
  •  28-10-2009, 2:38 AM 4815 in reply to 4811

Anyone have opinions on Fairydown Resolution Gore tex single wall tents? I guess they are old enough to be pre fairydown sell out and the specs are good. Anyone been in one? they seem to pop on trademe regularly and there is one up now. I wander how good it would be for darrans excursions to remote walls, looks like it would pitch well on a ledge and could be climbed with and be used to sit in when its raining/ snowing

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Camping-outdoors/Climbing-adventure/Other/auction-250346472.htm 

President 2011
  •  28-10-2009, 8:27 AM 4816 in reply to 4815

Looks to be in good condition and at a fair price.    Single wall tents are cold and damp.   But lighter and so easier to carry.   And I recon that tent would still break the poles in the wind.

•  31-10-2009, 2:30 AM 4826 in reply to 4816

Cheers, will keep that in mind
    President 2011
View as RSS news feed in XML