Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

2007 Photo Competition

Last post 13-09-2007, 2:25 PM by Matthias. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-09-2007, 10:02 AM 2123

2007 Photo Competition

Heyhey all

Our annual photo competition has been set for Tuesday 18 September so send me in some of your stunning shots from the year and be in to win not only mystery prizes but fame amongst the merry tramping club members! The categories this year are going to be....

-tramping

-climbing

-food

-humour

-anything else I can think of

So email me your best photos of the year without delay!

•  10-09-2007, 7:47 PM 2130 in reply to 2123

Re: 2007 Photo Competition

Hello,

What about those technology deprived people with $5 film cameras and no scanner? Just want us to bring you our photos on the night?

Terra

Filed under: ,
  •  10-09-2007, 8:49 PM 2131 in reply to 2130

Hey Terra

Sorry that's a very valid point!! I actually do have a scanner too but quite a few issues in getting it to actually work! If there's any chance you could bring the photos tomorrow night I can get them scanned for next Tuesday. Alternatively, I'm told there's university scanners for students to use, although where exactly they are I'm not so sure.

And for all those people emailing asking what format to send them in, for those who haven't already realised, I'm not that technologically flash and don't have any idea what different kind of formats there actually are so brownie points to people who send in things that are easy to use!!

Anyway get those snaps in snappily!

•  11-09-2007, 1:34 PM 2132 in reply to 2131

If you're looking for guidelines for your image format, I'd suggest:

JPEG format (not GIF!), image dimensions no bigger than 1024x768, and filesize below 500kB per image.(ideally <200kB)

This should give you decent quality and little to no artifacts when resized to fit the projector. Keep the originals around of course - they may be useful later!

Raw, unsized 2-5MB images (BMP/PSD/TGA, etc) are not ideal for emailing, or displaying on screen!

Most photo/image viewers can do this resizing/saving for you, I can recommend Irfanview (free).

Filed under: ,
  •  11-09-2007, 5:20 PM 2133 in reply to 2132

Hey,

There is an imaging service up on Kelburn Campus; they have a fairly decent slide scanner. But it's a real pain in the ass that they charge you 5bucks per scan. Bloody robbers. - Nevertheless - if you have got one or two really good slides, you want to use a proper slide scanner - rather than a flatbed one where the quality comes out pretty desastrous. For good non-glossy prints, on the other hand, a high-res. flatbedscanner is your tool of choice.

I do not LOVE Microsoft (and who does), but they have got this really neat and simple imaging software called Microsoft Office Picture Manager (under MS Office Tools). Create an icon on your desktop and have fun cropping around wildely, adjusting brightness, tone and contrast and so on. - It also allows you to resize or compress your image file with two mouse clicks!

More advanced programs are Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photo Paint (with cool clone tools, selected transparency features and other exciting stuff) if you happen to have these on your machine by chance.

Happy competitions,

Nicolai

•  11-09-2007, 5:32 PM 2134 in reply to 2133

Hey!

If you really want to get around the whole charge thing...Make friends with a  Design or Arch student. When i was there we had access to very extensive (and expensive) scanners, imagers, whatsys, do-dahs and thingees. All of which make average photos look good and put standard scans to shame.

Just thought that it might be an option for some of you.

Good luck!!

•  11-09-2007, 5:34 PM 2135 in reply to 2133

Ah yes, and NEVER forget to save your raw files first, and then make a COPY of those you want to do your adjustments on, as well as croppings and compression. Create a second folder with your adjusted images. As with all digital files, get used to have BACKUPS on USB sticks, CD's and external hdd's!

(And do read this message as a -distorted- short version: "never copy backups". Rather do the opposite.)

•  11-09-2007, 5:47 PM 2136 in reply to 2135

Thanks for the info, Paul! Unbelievable that this should be all for free as they charge you for every warm handshake at this place...

And now for something completely different:

If I am editing my posts in this forum about a hundred times AFTER posting them, do you guys -who are subscribed to get these messages forwarded automatically- always get the entire message sent to your email account? Just realised that it might be more intelligent to do it all reasonably right BEFORE the actual posting... Sorry for any mailbox-floodings that may have occurred due to my wannabe-perfectionism.

•  13-09-2007, 2:25 PM 2139 in reply to 2136

Terra, my camera has an "old photos" mode that's said to refresh colors of old photographs. So I could take a photo of your pictures with my camera ^^
View as RSS news feed in XML