Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Summit Plateau camping this weekend anyone?

•  27-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Summit Plateau camping this weekend anyone?

Hey all, so I know there's been a few trips to Tongariro region lately but this one will be different - a) because it is looking like beautiful weather this weekend, and b) because there will actually be decent amounts of snow!

So, I was thinking it was about time to go camping on the summit plateau of Ruapehu again - a nice wee spot if you haven't been there, 2600m up, cool sunsets and plenty of space to set up a tent, dig a snow cave or build an igloo (the latter two might be necessary given how most of the club tents will probably be in the south island!). Heck, if someone chucks in a bat and ball we can have a game of cricket!

Other pursuits including digging (those igloos take a bit of work), wandering up nearby peaks and practicing your AIC skills, and even a bit of ice climbing if someone can be bothered hauling a rope and some harnesses up there. Depending on how much is open at Whakapapa, might even get a few ski runs in before heading up.

Let me know if you're interested, also if you have a car or alpine tent and we'll see how the numbers stack up. Email me at patonomatic@gmail.com or talk to me at the meeting tomorrow. If the weather poos out, could be keen for a Tararua tramp...

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
    Filed under: , ,
View Complete Thread