Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Otaki River Tubing trip

•  10-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Otaki River Tubing trip

Hey everyone,

The calendar has a tubing trip down for this weekend, on the Otaki river. My plan if the weather is good is to do the whole stretch from Waitewaewae down to the forks - this involves a 4-5 hour walk in, overnight at the hut and a longish float out (8-10 hours?), so wetsuit definitely required! Its a pretty unique opportunity to see an untracked corner of the tararuas rarely visited by trampers.

Haven't decided yet whether we'll go in on Friday night and out Saturday, or Saturday afternoon and out Sunday... depends a bit on weather I guess and what else people want to do with their weekends - let me know if you have a preference. The club can provide helmets and some tubes, but feel free to pick up your own and test for punctures! (Beaurepairs Kaiwharawhara seems to be the best place, get 16 inch truck tubes from the bin round the back). You need to provide your own wetsuit, they can be hired from dive shops if you don't have one.

Since it is such a long trip with not much in the way of exit points, some prior experience tubing might be a good idea so you know what you're getting yourself into! But if you're keen then don't worry it should be fine :) I'll probably bring my inflatable kayak, various warehouse inflatable things can also be fun - from past experience, lilo/recliners work well, killer whales do not... and be prepared to puncture repair!

Bring a minimum of other gear (light sleeping bag, some food and dry bag), as a big pack is a pain in the river and everything not in a dry bag will get soaked.

If you have any questions, email me at patonomatic@gmail.com or talk to me tomorrow night at the meeting down at the Welsh Dragon Pub from 7.30ish.

Cheers

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
    Filed under:
View Complete Thread