Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

AIC follow up

•  29-07-2009, 12:29 PM

AIC follow up

Hello everyone,

AIC follow is next weekend! :)

If you where at the meeting last night you would have heard a little bit about it. Here is the run down.

This trip is for both people who have never done any mountaineering and would like to learn basic alpine skills and for people who have basic alpine skills and would like to increase these skills and learn how to climb steep snow and ice. If you have already done a lot of climbing feel free to come along and help out or do your own climbing.

So this is the general plan for the weekend

Friday August 7th meet Hunter Car Park 5pm (if you need to leave latter due to work or uni that is fine, we can change the meeting time to one that will work for you). Drive to Whakapapa ski feild, stoping for dinner along the way. We will camp out in the Bruce Shelter or at the camp gound at the bottom depending on numbers.

Saturday: walk up to Delta Corner and set up camp. Begginers will learn basic alpine skills including using crampons and learning how to self arrest. The climbers will learn snow and ice pitching skills including how to place snow stakes and ice screws, working with 2 ropes, making anchors, belaying and abseiling.

Sunday: those in the begginer group can either continue practising the skills they learned the day before, or if interested learn the climbing skills. The climbers can try out there skills on the pinnacles. We will leave some time Sunday afternoon and get back to Welly Sunday night.

If you are interested please sign up at the meeting next tuesday or contact me, and please say if you want to be in the begginer or climbing group.

The cost of the trip is $40. Please pay that at the meeting next Tuesday or if you can not make the meeting please contact Jeremy or me and we will sort something out.

The neccisary gear is outlined on this website under 'gear'. If you do not have something on that list please contact me and I will direct you as to where to buy it or if I can find some to lend you. The club has all the technical gear which will be lent out. Feel free to bring your own technical gear if you have any.

yah for climbing!

Terra :)

Filed under: , , , , ,
View Complete Thread