Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Trip this weekend

Last post 06-07-2007, 4:51 PM by Anonymous. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-07-2007, 3:51 PM 1562

Trip this weekend

Widwinter is happening and there is nothing on for the ones who stayed behind?

Would like to do some sort of a Tararua mission this weekend. Climbing Mitre or scrambling up Cattle Ridge from Roaring Stag or exciting stuff like that. I assume there is no gear available at present which means we would have to hire crampons and ice axes at bivouac.

Could also imagine to do a photographing trip (less k's, more looking around, taking loads of pictures -like I always do...- and talk about them later on. Let's get some finger-frostbite! Whatever suits, let me know.

•  03-07-2007, 11:23 AM 1572 in reply to 1562

Re: Trip this weekend

There probably is some gear around since there were a few less people than usual on mid winter. If you do want gear let me know and we can see what we can do.

I wouldn't reccomend frostbite - it sucks some serious a*#e!

Craig

Craig Ryburn
  •  03-07-2007, 12:09 PM 1576 in reply to 1572

Sweet, that's good to know, mate! I'll get back to you l8r then.- Yeah, better bite the frost than let the frost bite you...

Cheers,

Nicolai

•  05-07-2007, 11:02 AM 1608 in reply to 1576

So, is this trip still on? I'd be keen if the weather is good.

Sun

021 352 513

•  05-07-2007, 3:47 PM 1611 in reply to 1608

How could someone with a name like yours fear bad weather?

Well, my work productivity was incredibly disastrous this week, so mite do just a daytrip on Sun_day... And if you look at the metservice homepage (the NZ branch of Petrus connections Ltd) it looks pretty good for this particular day - but who knows the weather in advance for sure?

What about Mt. Matthews in less than 10hrs?

•  05-07-2007, 4:29 PM 1613 in reply to 1611

Ok I fear no bad weather :D

Sure, I'm happy with a day trip. But I'd prefer to do it on Saturday so I'll have Sunday relaxing before starting work back on Monday.

•  06-07-2007, 2:55 PM 1617 in reply to 1613

Alright, so the general preference seems to be Saturday (tomorrow). So shall it be. I'd suggest to meet 8:30am on Hunter carpark. We will be 3-5 people which, in turn, means the car is full, and that, in turn, is cool in terms of cost splitting, minimised carbon dioxide footprint, maximised cosiness, fun, and as I mentionioned earlier blah blah and so on. Still don't know precisely where we are going to go but the forecast is not perfect enough for a Mt. Matthews mission. Might rather do some sort of an expedition around Otaki Forks (N-W of Welly). Nevertheless it's never wrong to have a functioning torch handy, as well as waterproof jacket, enough food, sturdy boots and stuff. I'll have map, compass and a basic first aid kit - self evident that I'm not too keen to use the latter one.

Take care and CU tomorrow.

•  06-07-2007, 3:06 PM 1618 in reply to 1617

1. Do I need to bring any snow gear?

2. Where is Hunter carpark please?

3. What is your contact phone number please?

Cheers!

Sun

021 352 513 

View as RSS news feed in XML