Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Mountain adventures this weekend?

Last post 08-10-2008, 5:01 PM by Kieran. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-10-2008, 11:37 AM 3691

Mountain adventures this weekend?

Hey, the weather looks like it might be quite decent this weekend so is anyone up for some mountain adventures? I have the loose plan of going skiing on Friday at Turoa, but after that am pretty flexible so could meet up with others just keen for the weekend!

Some ideas could be:

•  climb Taranaki and camp on the top
    •  wander up Ruapehu and find some climbing to do
    •  go somewhere else

Personally I'd be keen to go play with ropes on some interesting stuff and then camp somewhere cool, but there would no doubt be other options for just wandering around and up stuff and getting cool views of the sunset.

Let me know if your keen for any of this anyway and we'll see what happens...

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
    Filed under: , ,
  •  07-10-2008, 1:09 PM 3692 in reply to 3691

Re: Mountain adventures this weekend?

Don't torture me!!!!! Ahhh study!
  •  07-10-2008, 3:33 PM 3693 in reply to 3692

And students have no excuse! Its the last week of uni and then there's only those little insignificant exam whatsits right? And even those are not for a few more days... :)
    Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
  •  08-10-2008, 9:50 AM 3696 in reply to 3691

I am keen for the weekend. camping up Ruapehu would be ideal.

I cant get friday off though- so am keen to pick up gear and drive friday night possibly to whakapapa public shelter and meet up saturday am? Either that or leave fairly early sat and drive up.

I have car so if anyone else wants a ride, ill pick ya up. 0274668160

•  08-10-2008, 12:01 PM 3697 in reply to 3696

Im keen to leave Friday after work and from the sound of last night there are a couple more as well.
    Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  08-10-2008, 1:59 PM 3700 in reply to 3697

Add me to the keen list!! Will have finally handed in my dissertation and got Schmidt hammers out my life (whoop whoop!)
  •  08-10-2008, 5:01 PM 3702 in reply to 3700

Hey everyone,

just thought I’d put out a possible plan for those that expressed interest in the weekend (and some who didn’t but might be keen).

It would be cool to go up from Turoa I reckon, both cause the weathers supposed to be better in the east (less wind) and we hardly ever go from there! I’m intending to go up on Friday with Craig R for skiing, but he has to come back to Welly for the weekend so I might just bivy out up the mountain somewhere and meet you guys on Saturday.

I think we have confirmed so far:

Annabel

Andrew

Jason

Alyn

Jess

Richie & Hannah maybe?

Anyone else keen?

Plan:

Drive up Friday night and camp in Ohakune.

On Saturday wander up skifield (Annabel and I can take packs on lifts), then head across a couple of ridges to the Wahianoa glacier on the east side to camp (should be nice and sheltered).

On Saturday afternoon (or Sunday when weather looks best) wander up round the summit regions (Mitre Peak, Tahurangi) to get nice views of the crater lake, etc. Maybe some people could go climb something interesting on Girdlestone if can be bothered carrying ropes and all (let me know if anyones keen for this – otherwise I might travel light and take ski touring gear).

Then come back down.

Any steep stuff would be purely voluntary for those so inclined J

Kieran,
    Co-Treasurer
View as RSS news feed in XML