Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

from the Hutt to Days Bay

Last post 10-12-2011, 11:46 AM by Charlie Hopkins. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-12-2011, 8:40 PM 6165

from the Hutt to Days Bay

Hi there!

In the last months many people tried to convince me, that the Hutt is beautiful and Wainuiomata is a peaceful place... This day tramp is another opportunity to change my view on this valley!

On Sunday (Dec 11th) we will take the train at 9:35AM from Wellington Station, we can meet up with locals at 10 AM at Epuni Station.

The tramp will lead us from there via the Summit Road to the Hills south-east of the Hutt Valley. We are walking over the firebreaks and ECNZ road to Towai, Wainuiomata Road Lookout and Lowry. Shoes with good profile are required! The track has beautiful views over the Hutt Valley, Wainuiomata and Wellington Harbour. We will have lunch there or at one of the lookouts along the way. Once we've left Epuni, there is no opportunity to buy snacks or water on the way. Potable water will be available at Butterfly Creek or Eastbourne/Days Bay.

For an early finish one could walk directly to Days Bay. With beautiful weather we will continue the Main Ridge track to Butterfly Creek. On the way back we take the Kowhai Track and chill out at the Marine Parade or at Days Bay Pavilion (eating Pizza!) and waiting for the ferry or bus.

If you want to join, send me a mail or show up on Tuesday to our meeting.

•  09-12-2011, 10:53 AM 6169 in reply to 6165

Re: from the Hutt to Days Bay

Anyone want to go up Mt Matthews or a similar day walk in the Orongorongos such as the Orongorongo Loop Track instead of or alongside this?

I could provide car transport to Catchpool valley and back again and would be looking to start from Wellington at around 9am. I am also up for a nice lunch on the top including a fry up or something. We would be back in Wellington early evening.

Text me if interested.  

If should be a nice fine day for getting out.

Alyn
    027 446 5275
    Alyn.Higgins@hospitalitynz.org.nz
  •  10-12-2011, 11:46 AM 6170 in reply to 6169

Re: from the Hutt to Days Bay

Hey guys, I am now going up Matthews with Alyn, sorry for any inconvenience caused and if there is any way we can help with transport let us know
View as RSS news feed in XML