Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Are you keen for mining in National Parks?

Last post 13-02-2010, 2:55 PM by Richard. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-11-2009, 7:31 AM 4853

Are you keen for mining in National Parks?

If you are, great news, the Government is taking steps to make it easier to stick a big, stinking hole in the middle of the beautiful places where we go to play, work and look after our mental health.  The places that shape us as New Zealanders are being actively investigated for what will happen if we dig them up and sell them to the Chinese.  I'm told it might even make us closer to Australia!  Awesome eh!

If, like me, you think this is a bit on the nose, then I would encourage you to print off a photo of your favourite place in the hills - somewhere where you go to climb, hunt, fish or just walk - and write a brief message on the back and send it to either the Minister of Conservation, Energy or the Prime Minister.  Even better send one to each of them.  It is free postage if you are corresponding with our Parliamentarians so lack of money to buy stamps is no excuse!

More details can be found here:

Richie
  •  12-11-2009, 7:32 AM 4854 in reply to 4853

Re: Are you keen for mining in National Parks?

Richie
  •  13-02-2010, 2:55 PM 5010 in reply to 4854

Re: Are you keen for mining in National Parks?

Hi all,

The bulldozers are getting warmed up and JK has announded that irrespective of the consultation they are going to take land out of schedule 4 to mine.  Remember, schedule 4 is not low value conservation land, schedule 4 is the creme de la creme.  It's land even the last national government in the 1990s thought was worth protecting in perpetuity.  JK's comfortable with it getting bulldozed though.

Get those photos rolling in to Ministers.  Get activated!! 

They are going to take it off us and sell it overseas.  Unbelievable eh!

Richie
View as RSS news feed in XML