Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Track in Mount Aspiring national Park

Last post 02-11-2009, 1:18 PM by cesco.bortoletti. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  05-10-2009, 11:24 AM 4730

Track in Mount Aspiring national Park

Dear everyone,
    I am Francesco, I am Italian and I am currently working in Wellington.
    Some friends of mine coming from Italy and I are planning a three-day tramp in Mount Aspiring National Park in the period from 16th October to 21st. Unfortunately these are the only dates when we can tramp, since my friends are coming from Italy and they are here for just a short period of time. Do you think passes are blocked by snow in this period? We all have tramping experience from the Italian Alps, but it should be the first time tramping on snow. I'm asking you this because if this is the case, we are doing the Greenstone Track, which has a lower altitude and Lonely Planet guide reccomends it as a all-year tramp, even if its landscape shouldn't be as great as other park tracks' ones. Could you suggest other nice tracks that can be made in this period, always in Mount Aspiring National Park? Thank you very much!
    Cheers,
    Francesco Bortoletti
  •  05-10-2009, 1:08 PM 4731 in reply to 4730

Re: Track in Mount Aspiring national Park

Yes, all the passes will still have a lot of snow on them and you will need an ice axe and crampons (and know how to use them) to go over them.

Greenstone-Caples would be a very good trip to do.

You could also walk up the Wilkin valley and spent 3 days exploring in that area (although you should seek advice from DoC about the avalanche risk)

cheers

Richie
  •  02-11-2009, 1:18 PM 4829 in reply to 4731

Re: Track in Mount Aspiring national Park

We made Caples-Greenstone tracks, and it was great. We all had a lot of fun. Thank you very much for the advice!

Cheers

View as RSS news feed in XML