Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Haurangi Tramping this Weekend!!

Last post 26-07-2007, 7:23 PM by Timmy. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  22-07-2007, 10:08 PM 1744

Haurangi Tramping this Weekend!!

Hi All,

This weekend, one of the club trips going away will be over to the Haurangi Ranges. The Haurangis lie sort of west of Wellington, over the Rimutaka Ranges, and towards cape palliser. There are six small huts to choose from. I have never been there before, but a few people I have spoken to have said its great, apart from grumpy farmers harassing them, so it should be fun as I do like to hear farmers rant....

Anyway, more information will be posted here over the week about when we depart, etc, and there will be a sign-up sheet on Tuesday night (Don't forget we're in meeting room 3 too!) if you would like to sign up, or email me by clicking Contact, and "send timmy an email".

Cheers, Timmy

Filed under:
  •  23-07-2007, 12:46 PM 1748 in reply to 1744

Re: Haurangi Tramping this Weekend!!

Timmy:

The Haurangis lie sort of west of Wellington

Wow - I didn't know there is a secret island with mountains in the Tasman Sea that cannot be found on any maps! :) 

•  23-07-2007, 5:41 PM 1752 in reply to 1748

My sincerest apologies, te Haurangis are to the east of Wellington, and not on a secret island as Matthias points out; I think he is referring to the South Island.
  •  26-07-2007, 12:24 PM 1810 in reply to 1752

So what's the plan for this weekend? Anyone know what hut we're staying at?
  •  26-07-2007, 6:10 PM 1812 in reply to 1810

For the trampers I'd recommend taking two cars, parking one at the little settlement just past the Mangatoetoe river (think it's called Mangatoetoe as well actually...), then driving back to Te Kopi, parking in the Pinnacles carpark then tramping over to the Washpool, Pararaki, Kawakawa and Mangatoetoe huts and out down the Mangatoetoe.  Very nice medium weekend trip.  Stay at either Pararaki (closer) or Kawakawa (a bit nicer).

The easy group should ring DoC in the 'raps [to get the phone number] and get permission to cross Pirinoa Station land, 'cos from there its a short pleasant walk up a stream (3hrs according to the sign) to the super nice Tauanui hut.

The beer drinking/surfing group should take their cars and boards around to Ngapotiki hut and sit on the beach, drink a few beers and if there is any surf go and get amongst it.

There you go, I've totally interfered with all your trip planning Tim.  But you won't find any angry farmers if you do that....

Richie
    Filed under: ,
  •  26-07-2007, 7:23 PM 1814 in reply to 1812

Hey guys,

Just a quick note to say that the Haurangi trip is cancelled due to a lack of cars. If anyone is keen for a day trip, send me an email doyletr@yahoo.com.

View as RSS news feed in XML