Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Re: Kapakapanui Loop on Sunday

•  17-06-2012, 8:03 PM

Re: Kapakapanui Loop on Sunday

On Sunday I started tramping the Kapakapanui Loop in warm sunshine at 11AM, after brisk warm-up bike ride from Waikane Station...

No wet feet after the river crossings! Thanks to alpine tramping boots and gaiters. I feared wet and cold feet on this tramp – that's what Kapakapanui is famous for!

From the bottom, I could see the white trees at the top third of the mountain. Taking the steep route (anti-clockwise) to get to the Trig on top of Kapakapanui ASAP. Sweet: 12:45PM I reached the top … (ah, that's the advantage of solo trips!)

And I was blown away – not by the wind, there was none – but by 30cm fresh snow. The clouds were hovering about 300m above me, but they were lowering slowly. It must have been a stunning view to east where the southern main ridge (Mt Hector, one-five-something) is. The trampers I met on the way down talked about it (next time, Alpine start!).

There was still a lot to see - after I put on my sun glasses: Kapiti Island, Wellington, snow on trees and everywhere, Waikane, South Island... have a look! After 20 minutes amazement I decided for lunch time in Kapakapnui Hut – I was never at that hut before (yes, really!). The hut is well maintained and tidy, but pretty boring (alone and compared to Alpha or Elder) - bugger. So I set off by 2PM and said the snow good bye!

A quick tramp down brought me back to my bicycle at 3:15PM. The river has risen a bit (right, that was the thing with the noon snow melt!), but I did well again.

So, I'm early enough to visit the Pottery Café close to Reikorangi. It was recommended by friends two years ago – but I never stopped on my cycle trips via Akatarawa pass. Today I treated myself with scones and a pot Latte while viewing all the pottery items and appliances of the 'good old days'.

Finally, caught the 4:30PM train well before sunset!

View Complete Thread