Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

3 LOKO Summits Tramp April 2-3rd

•  24-03-2011, 11:30 AM

3 LOKO Summits Tramp April 2-3rd

On the 2-3rd April i'm leading a trip up to Tongariro National Park to link up all the major summits in a weekend. I'l figure out logistics before we go but basically, somehow, we'l aim to get up all 3 active volcanoes: Ruapehu, Ngarahoe and Tongariro,in that order, traveling in as direct a route as possible (this means no tracks until the base of Tongariro, so ~80% of the walking). In the words of Jukka: Gut.

We'l leave Hunter Carpark at 5.00pm so be there a little earlier and be back sunday night, however, there's the chance of benightment on sunday or sidetracking due to tired drivers on sunday night so there's a small chance of losing some of your monday aswell.

Bring your own food, it will need to be non cookable as we are leaving cookers to save weight. Sandwiches work well for main meals, whatever you bring should beable to be eaten on the move (prepacked).

Cost will be $40 to cover the gas to get up there.

The trip will be in the 'spirit' of alpinism and is a good warm up for the coming winter (and a 24hr ski 3 summits!), we'l pack as light as is safe and only take minimal cooking gear for the single night out in light tents/ bivvy bags. I'l let you know about packing light before we go. We'l probably have to carry all our water as its a bit dodgy between the volcanic contamination and tourist *** in the streams, which is a drag... but we'l manage. Edit: Tama Lakes might be good to drink out of, which would save us half the water!

There will be long sections in the permanent ice and snow up there on Ruapehu so some prev. experience using an axe and crampons would be helpful, let me know if you can't self arrest! Im sure you will still manage, although it could mean sitting out on the steeper Ruapehu Summit.

Also essential are basic navigation skills and a cool head if the weather turns poos (this happens frequently in the mountains)

Check topomaps.co.nz for an idea of whats in store, it goes something like this: 1100m climb and 1700m descent first day (big day) and then 1000m climb, 600m descent, 300m ascent, 800m descent to carpark. And about 30km horizontal distance. (ive pulled these figures out of my head but they are good to within a few 100m) In short, this is a fit trip, with possibly 12hr+ days, heaps of vertical and rough volcanic ground. This ain't exactly the Tngariro xing but its something like it twice, off track, with a bit more vertical. 

In saying that... im not that fit at the moment, and we'l take it easy and change plans if we realise things won't work out, and anyone always has the option to bail without needing a reason when we go above the snowline :)

An alternative route is to camp somewhere on the northern slopes of Ruapehu if we can't get to Tama Lakes and then just do Ngarahoe the next day. Which would still be a sick trip. 

The club will provide cookers, tents, axes and crampons, you will need sturdy tramping boots, a >30l pack, suncream, lots of water bottles (6-9l) and the usual gear outlined on the website.

If the weather is bad we will all go tubing or maybe climbing at Mangaokewa! 

http://www.geokem.com/images/pix/tongarir.jpg

email me at tombelgrano@gmail.com or see me at next weeks meeting to sign up or if you would like to have a chat about whether this trip is for you based on prev. experience.

Much love from your friendly President

Tom  

P.S Some kind of burger is required for every summit! i will take deluxe cheeseburgers (they don't rot or freeze and are delicious and full of energy!) Eating these will be fun.

President 2011
View Complete Thread