Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Alpine Instruction Course II

•  15-08-2010, 7:35 PM

Alpine Instruction Course II

This weekend, the 21st, 22nd the club is running an Alpine Instruction Course from a skifield on Mt Ruapehu, most likely Whakapapa if you know the mountain.

No experience is required

No technical gear is required,

you will however need a warm sleeping bag, anything above 0 degrees c comfort will require a few layers aswell, good full length (not trainers) boots, waterproof lined or waxed leather, wet toes will be very cold otherwise, gaiters, waterproofs top and bottom, gloves (waterproof are best, ski ones go cheap) sun protection (glasses/ goggles, block), some kind of neck gaiter/ buff/ scarf is always really nice if the wind picks up to. I will send out a full gear list before we go.

Cost is $45 incl. Camping one night in a lovely DOC spot. ($5 for drivers)

Drivers go for $5 not $45! We will need as many cars as we can get so bring one if you can and are willing to drive safely and responsibly. Anyone deviating from those two little requirements won't be coming on any of my trips ever again :)  

Program:

We will start by finding a small, safe slope to practice/ assess everyone's self arresting skills, then depending on what people are after, we will walk up to the good stuff and do:

An avo assesment

Pitching (ropes!) up a steepish snow slope with stakes.

Top rope (lead if you're game!) some ice/ mixed if we can find some in condition. (if this is really your thing please let me know at the meeting, we may change plans for better ice)

Dig snow caves/ pitch tents for the night! 

Next day:

Much of the same, but we could step it up or take it back a bit depending on your needs.

We will leave Friday night at 5pm from Hunter Carpark come back sunday night to arrive around 10-11pm.

If you're interested in leaving thursday night and having an extra day then thats certainly possible, just tell me soon!

Now, pray for good weather, and know the www.avalanche.net.nz forecast off by heart if you want to impress me :)

One more thing, its my birthday saturday night, bring party food and booze if you feel like festivities!

Best come to the meeting on tuesday and we will go through the details and the very basic theory of an avalanche danger assessment, if you cant come, read up here before the weekend

http://www.mountainz.co.nz/content/article/article.php?article=240608_avalanche.php&direct=general 

Cheers,

Tom 

Climbing Officer 

President 2011
    Filed under:
View Complete Thread