Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Re: Save the fish!

•  04-09-2007, 11:15 PM

Re: Save the fish!

Hey!

I'd love that it works, though I don't think that's very useful. Why? Well, as far as I know, it is being widely demonstrated that subsidising fishing fleets (regardless of what these subsidies aim) it's been a complete failure. Thus, in the EU (as you talk about Euros) there's currently a new Fishing Policy which clearly discourages any kind of subsidies, however, this is not equally implemented among all the European countries. But the most important thing is that all the 'fishing nations' have billateral agreements with most, if not all, the developing countries. This is something that I believe the WTO is very unlikely change... Another big problem in fisheries management is what is known as IUU fishing (Illegal Unreported and Unregulated fishing) in which unfortunately, Spain is one of the leading countries.

I don't think that the WTO is going to very helpful in improving the state of world fisheries (I actually doubt that it's even really interested in doing so). Finally, given that New Zealand is a leading country in bottom trawling -which not only depletes the fishing stocks but also completely destroys all the marine ecosystems where it takes place- do you really believe that whoever is the trade minister cares about sustainable fisheries? It would be really good if just by writing a letter we can "save the fish" but things are more difficult than that.However, it's good that you guys care about 'the fish' and the oceans in general, and it's better to try something than nothing at all!!

View Complete Thread