Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Tramping Sing Song night

•  31-07-2007, 4:42 PM

Tramping Sing Song night

Hi Guys, I was flipping through the paper the other day and came across an article about a guy who is doing his PhD on 'community singing' and was going to look at tramping singing (generally 194's to 1970's songs) you know the songs you sing along to when you're tramping! (Sophie & Sarah!). Ia emailed him and he is interested to come along one night to discuss, so maybee we could have a "make up the ultimate tramping song night"

He even has some old VUWTC tramping songs on file!

here is the email he sent me:

Hi Sam

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm glad to hear that the VUTC is still singing loudly!
    My PhD research mainly has a historical focus, so I'm looking at tramping singsongs from my parents era, around 1940-1970. Of course this would include the VUTC, but I doubt there'd still be members from that era active in the club.

But I'm intrigued to hear about the current scene. What do you suggest? Are there club nights where I could come along?

There's a few classic songs that came out of VUTC in the old days, which if they're not still known I could provide the words and tunes. I'd also be keen to hear any current creations - your 'devise a tramping song' night sounds interesting.

Cheers
    Michael

Sammy Roo
    Filed under:
View Complete Thread