Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Abel-Tasman Tramping

Last post 04-04-2012, 2:50 PM by achim. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-04-2012, 10:49 PM 6281

Abel-Tasman Tramping

Together with a friend I'll head down on Sunday (April 8th) morning from Wellington to Golden Bay and spend the Easter time in the Abel Tasman Park.

The rough plan: Start tramping on Sunday and Monday somewhere on the Inland Track, spending Tuesday/½ Wednesday on the Abel Tasman Coastal track - as I expect it a bit less busy after Easter. We will take tents with us, Great Walk huts are expensive and hard to get.

I want to come back on Wednesday (April 11th) - maybe late.

Some facts:

• The Abel Tasman Coastal Track is a Great Walk (not a Great Tramp!), camping is $12.50 :-(
    • For details on the coastal track see the DOC website
    • The Inland track has standard huts (5.xx NZD)
    • Here are some infos about the Inland track
    • Transport?! Spontaneous, hitch-hike ... we will see how it goes.

I'd like to end close to Paynes Ford (Rameka Track), so people can join Jack at the HangDog climbing camp.

Feel free to come along! The more - the merrier!

Filed under:
  •  04-04-2012, 2:50 PM 6287 in reply to 6281

Re: Abel-Tasman Tramping

Right now we are five, taking the Bluebridge ferry to Picton at 2:30AM on Sunday, so we have all the time to hitch hike to Marahau at that day. On the way we sort out the food in Nelson/Richmond or Motueka.

As it is tramping club tradition, we tend to buy our breakfast/lunch stuff individually and cook group dinners individually: These are three nights/dinners and four days of walking/travelling.

View as RSS news feed in XML