Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

27-29/jan - Chamberlain Creek/Tararua forest park

Last post 25-01-2012, 12:12 PM by ManoelM. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  19-01-2012, 4:01 PM 6197

27-29/jan - Chamberlain Creek/Tararua forest park

Hello boys and girls...

Following the latest tubing trips, weekend 27-29 of Jan will be another wet trip.

I will be heading off to Tararuas on Friday 27th after work and driving up to Putara road end and walking 1 hour to the Herapai hut getting there around midnight as usual. On Saturday, a nice walk up from Herapai hut to West peak, and there we start our mission...

Canionning down Chamberlain Creek will require some wet gear such as wetsuits and drybags, helmets, rope skills and a strong heart... :D

Do not be fool to come if you are afraid of heights, gorges and pools are waiting for us... Also, it will have some walking involved...

Following down the creek, we end up at Roaring Stag hut, where we will have a nice dinner, relax, stay for the night.

A easy walk on Sunday will await for those that survive the mission. :D

You will need to sort your own wetsuit if you decide to come.

For those that haven't got rope experience, let me know and I can try to sort a evening somewhere to go thought some abseiling techniques.

More details TBA.

Let me know if you're keen.

desorder@gmail.com.

Cheers.

MM.

•  24-01-2012, 1:17 PM 6198 in reply to 6197

Re: 27-29/jan - Chamberlain Creek/Tararua forest park

Hello again,

Here is roughly plan...

Leaving here on Friday night, and drive for a 3 hours to the road end. There, we walk for a couple of hours to the hut. On Saturday, a looong day awaits for us... An fairly early start followed by another two hours to three hours of walk to Walker. From Walker, the mission starts going down Chamberlain Creek to Ruamahanga Forks and then to Roaring Stag hut.

Expect Saturday to be a long day.

This trip will happen only in case of really good weather and it confirmed on Thursday whether it's happening or not. I believe nobody wants to spend a day going down a creek under average weather...

Again, contact me if you're interested on coming.

Cheers.

MM.
  •  25-01-2012, 12:12 PM 6199 in reply to 6198

Re: 27-29/jan - Chamberlain Creek/Tararua forest park

Hello all,

Due to a lack of interest and requests to postpone it to a later day, I will run this trip in another weekend.

New date TBA. Keep a eye on the calendar and here in the forum for other trips.

Cheers.

MM.

View as RSS news feed in XML