Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

June 25 - 26, Tongariro Crossing / Climb Mt Doom

Last post 15-06-2011, 1:29 PM by Beth Parkin. 0 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  15-06-2011, 1:29 PM 5961

June 25 - 26, Tongariro Crossing / Climb Mt Doom

Hi everyone,

Next weekend Francis and I will be taking a trip up North near to Mt Ruapehu.  The plan at the moment is to drive up on Friday night leaving from Hunter carpark and camp at the road end on Friday and stay at a hut in the park on the Saturday night.  Depending on weather Saturday we will climb Ngauruhoe aka Mt. Doom, if the weather isn't behaving we will try to go up it on Sunday instead.   We'll also be aiming to do part or all of the Tongariro crossing as well depending on how groups/cars/weather work out.  This will be a great opportunity to put into practice skills learnt on AIC and also see some awesome landscapes!!

To come on this trip you need to have either attended AIC (this weekend) or have equivalent experience.  You will need all the usual tramping gear plus waterproof pants, gloves, sunglasses and boots with a stiff sole.  The club will provide ice axes, crampons, tents and cookers.  The cost of the trip will be about $50 to cover petrol.

You can sign up at the meeting next Tuesday or send me an email (bethparkin@hotmail.com) before 9am Wednesday so that I have enough time to sort out groups/transport.  If you email after this I can try and get you away on the trip but can't guarantee it.  If you email me could you please include the following details: Name (first and last), fitness, experience if you are not going on AIC this weekend, dietary requirements and a contact phone number.

Cheers

Beth

Secretary
    027 4697960 / bethparkin@hotmail.com
View as RSS news feed in XML