Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Mountain biking night light

Last post 25-05-2010, 10:46 PM by kennymac. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  24-05-2010, 5:14 PM 5240

Mountain biking night light

For night riding your experience is made a bit better with a bright night light and you tend to have less trees running out in front of you.

I am looking at making a mountain bike light.  This consists of  a sealed lead acid battery, halogen light (available in 20 – 50W) battery charger.  Could be some extras if you want like switches and connectors (so you can change bulbs).  The idea with these things is you put the battery in your bag and the light attaches to the top of you helmet.

All up I would say they can be built for $60 - $70 but can let you know exact pricing closer to the time.

Let me know if you are keen on one because I am looking at buying parts in the next day or two

Craig

021 04 00 989

•  25-05-2010, 7:39 PM 5243 in reply to 5240

Re: Mountain biking night light

If you ride at night in town and/or like mountain biking, I recommend doing this.  It is much cheaper than buying a light in a bike shop.  I made one 10 years ago and the battery still goes well, although I do have to charge it a bit more regularly.  It will last for ages!

Mikey

michael.instone@hotmail.com
  •  25-05-2010, 10:46 PM 5246 in reply to 5243

Re: Mountain biking night light

I agree, it is cheaper building it yourself but if you want to see the latest in hi-tec led lighting check out this link

http://www.cyclescience.co.nz/nite-lights-900-lumens-rechargeable-xidp265039.html

It has all the mounting hardware for handlebar, head/helmet, li-ion battery, 3 hour run time on full, 6 hour on half and 900 lumen output.

And for $200 it’s a pretty good bargain

Kenneth

Filed under:
View as RSS news feed in XML