Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Pine Tree Ice Climbing

Last post 13-05-2010, 1:48 AM by tombelgrano. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-05-2010, 11:31 PM 5194

Pine Tree Ice Climbing

Anyone be keen to come and climb some pine in the forests behind my place in Thorndon sometime this week??? I think we would have to lead it to get a top rope set up. Could be funny. If you are keen and can give a solid belay or climb confidantly (potential for big whippers on lead) then text me or reply!

I have a set of tools (ice axes) and boots/ crampons.  Good training! good laugh, shouldn't be too dangerous...

President 2011
  •  05-05-2010, 6:51 PM 5201 in reply to 5194

Re: Pine Tree Ice Climbing

DTR all the way (Dry Tree Research) :)

Sounds like you have something in the way of a DTR3 out your back yard! Good man :) There is heaps of potential development in this feild. I was thinking of writing a DTR guide to the best problems in Wellington, but then I moved. 

One important rule in DTR is that it must be done in the dark. Best conditions seem to appear at around 1 am when a party gets a bit boring.

•  06-05-2010, 7:00 PM 5206 in reply to 5201

We headed up at about 5.30, no headtorch, no plan, it was dark in half an hour and we couldnt find any trees with enough good looking branches to lead, so we bouldered at the bottom, worth soemthing i guess! 
    President 2011
  •  06-05-2010, 7:15 PM 5207 in reply to 5206

The #1 rule in life:

NEVER EVER GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT YOUR HEAD TORCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The #2 rule in life:

The #3 rule in life:

•  13-05-2010, 1:48 AM 5224 in reply to 5207

Pffft Rule number 4 of how to have an epic adventure states to forget your head torch! i was just trying to inject some excitement into hacking at pine trees in Wellington Central! And a friend had stoled it!
    President 2011
View as RSS news feed in XML