Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Post AIC adventures

Last post 29-06-2007, 5:36 PM by Anonymous. 29 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (30 items)   < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  22-06-2007, 12:27 AM 1460 in reply to 1455

Re: Damn car!!! Anybody into car mechanics?

Bad news guys,

an AA-Dude checked my van and it needs to be town away to a garage tomorrow morning. Can't guarantee for anything, I'm sorry. I really hope they'll be able to fix the problem till the afternoon. But I reckon they won't. ***!!! I was really looking forward to that. Anyway, let's see what happens ...

Andreas 

•  22-06-2007, 7:02 AM 1461 in reply to 1459

Re: Post AIC adventures

Andreas, I hope you got your car working...if not, then we just have to come back on Sunday and leave Welly next day again (which doesn't make so much sense) But I will keep my fingers crossed, take all the information I've got around Tongariro area with me and we'll see what happens..

See you tonight:)!

Katriina 

•  22-06-2007, 12:11 PM 1462 in reply to 1461

If there aren't any other vehicles available for those who are leaving for the crossing on Monday from Wellington, I could drive, as well (up to 4 seats). Someone doing the AIC would have to bring some crampons and ice axes for us; Katriina, would you please be so kind?

Would be heading back on Wednesday afternoon, no matter what the conditions are like on Tuesday.

•  22-06-2007, 1:38 PM 1464 in reply to 1462

Hey guys,

Your Tongariro crossing trip sounds like it will be awesome..

At this time of the year we have limitations on lending out Crampons’s and Ice’s as we have our mid winter trip in less than a week from AIC. We will be needing nearly all of the Crampon’s and Ices axes that we own and early next week we will be checking, sorting out and issuing the gear.  Although I understand you could probably get the gear back to us by Thursday / Friday this is really too late in the week and presents a logistical problem to us.   It is unlikely at this stage that there will be any available crampons and ice axes that you can borrow for next week.

Several places around Wellington and up in the Tongariro region will hire gear that would suite your requirements.  Bivouac in Wellington also have gear for hire

Craig Scott
    Gear custodian
    VUWTC

•  22-06-2007, 1:49 PM 1465 in reply to 1462

Bad news again. They're not able to fix my car today so I can't use it this weekend. I'd really wished it would have worked out, sorry again. I think I have to be back on Monday then, so I can't do any extra tramping at all. ***! Hope you get something arranged anyway.

See you on the AIC

Andreas

•  22-06-2007, 5:39 PM 1467 in reply to 1465

Juhu!!! The car's fixed and ready to go. We'll probably go to tongariro on sunday. Any questions? Should we book the backpacker for you as well?

Andreas 0212950821

Katriina 0211225454

•  22-06-2007, 7:56 PM 1468 in reply to 1467

Is there anyone else going from Welly?

Will make my decision tomorrow.

•  22-06-2007, 8:57 PM 1469 in reply to 1468

Erm - I want to do this trip. But I have an exam on monday morning. And I am going on the midwinter trip. So I have to be back on Wednesday, as well. So what about all the others who want to go there?

@ Craig: We could bring back all the gear on Wednesday. Is that a problem?

•  23-06-2007, 1:42 PM 1470 in reply to 1469

Cool; Bruce might be keen, too.

Yes, it is a problem because I assume they don't have internet access in Ohakune and are not able to read our posts right now,accordingly.

And no, it wouldn't have been a problem as there are -according to Craig Ryburn's list- 40 people on the AIC right now (I assume they all have got a pair of crampons and an ice axe plus maybe a couple of spare ones) and only 22 people (again according to Craig's list) signed up for the mid winter trip. If I get things right, 40 minus 22 is 18 (ice axes and pairs of crampons, which are not needed for mid winter).

Anyway, we'll see, how things develop. If we're going, we should book the hostel in National Park.

Cheers,

Nicolai

•  24-06-2007, 10:24 AM 1474 in reply to 1470

Heyo, so what exactly is the plan at this point? Who's going/driving?

Nicolai can you e-mail me your phone number?

Also, I will text annabel and craig about ice axes/crampons once i get a list of how many people we think we will need them for.

Cheerio,

-Jess

Jess Clark
  •  24-06-2007, 4:16 PM 1475 in reply to 1474

greetings from Ohakune!

We borrowed 4 pairs of crampons and ice axes,Kieran didn't want to hire more...but we can hire them more probably from somewhere here...We would like to hear about you, so please txt/phone to us and tell your plans. We might stay here in Ohakune or in national park in some backpacker, don't know yet. It would be awesome to do the crossing on Tuesday.

See you:)

K&A

•  24-06-2007, 4:59 PM 1476 in reply to 1475

Hey Matthias, did you get my private message? Does 3:45pm on Hunter Carpark (tomorrow) suit you?

Good luck for tomorrow's exam! Last one, aye!!

Just booked the hostel for three persons (Jess, Matthias & myself) -had to do it via the online form, tho. Will try to ring them again if they will not have replied by tomorrow. Will try to reach K&A, too.

•  24-06-2007, 7:59 PM 1478 in reply to 1476

Hey Nicolai,

I got your message, and responded. 3:45 is good, though I would prefer BP station in Tinakori road.

If you come from hunter car park and go down Tinakori road, you'll come along there. Cool?

Tomorrow, 12:30 all exams will be done. Finally!

I would really love to enjoy some hot pools after the Xing. Do you have to be backon Tuesday?

And, ist thereanything special to bring? 

•  25-06-2007, 1:51 PM 1480 in reply to 1478

Done! BP Tinakori rd. 3:45pm. Back on Wednesday is fine (would be a bit strenuous to drive back after the tramp I suppose). Hotpools are quite important, anyway.

3:30pm at Kelburn shops.

Map and kompass positive. Fly negative.

Bring sunglasses, hat or balaclava, gloves, really warm (insulating & waterproof) clothes, proper tramping boots, sleeping bag for the YHA.

Freezing level is currently (and will be tomorrow) at 800m with wind speeds around 50-90km/h on the tops. Not a playground, ok? So leave the shovel and the lil pink bucket at home - but bring toggs for the hotpoolz!

Hostel booking is confirmed.

Over and out.

•  29-06-2007, 5:36 PM 1550 in reply to 1480

Yeah, I was a bloody pessimist: It WAS a PLAYGROUND!

Here are some pics from the Tongariro Crossing / Tama Lakes - nin the best winter conditions you could ever imagine... Sorry for those who left the area after AIC due to real crappy waether and a very average forecast. Don't trust Metservice (either way)!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Nicogoeskiwi

Also, I recently uploaded photos from the Ruahines trip (Queen' s Birthday weekend) as well as some from the Kapakapanui daywalk (same site, just a different folder). Click on "slide show".

Enjoy! 

Page 2 of 2 (30 items)   < Previous 1 2
View as RSS news feed in XML