Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Trip this Weekend: Carkeek

Last post 23-01-2014, 5:24 PM by achim. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  21-01-2014, 11:12 PM 6560

Trip this Weekend: Carkeek

Ok, here comes the weekend thing:

The trip to Carkeek will be pretty much a copy of my last Carkeek weekend, we will do a maintenance trip to one of "our" huts. - But this time, we can take advantage of cleaned mattresses (thanks, Beth and Francis), clean walls, a big frying pan and heaps of firewood (thanks to all)... AND the track & marking has improved a lot (thanks, Kieran)! That will make the tramp easier!

In deed, Carkeek hut is in the very middle of the Tararuas, depending on the fitness, one needs 6 to 12 hours to get there.

On Friday (24.1.2014, leave at 5:30PM from Hunter Car Park), we will walk in from Holdsworth Lodge to Jumbo hut (that will safe us an uphill-slog on Saturday).

On Saturday we tramp to McGregor and drop (nearly literally) down into the Waiohine river. As we go we do some work on the track. For a change we splash along the river till we reach Park Forks. Then we climb up the Carkeek ridge, till we arrive at the very hut!

On Sunday we do the same backwards and finally rolling down the hill and along the Atiwhakatu river... Fish and Chips on the way back!!!

Recommended for medium (sore legs on Monday, but happy) or fitter people (no problem...)

Filed under:
  •  23-01-2014, 5:24 PM 6563 in reply to 6560

Re: Trip this Weekend: Carkeek

I'm replacing the Carkeek trip with a Waiopehu/Ohau expedition...

Leaving on Friday at 6PM from Hunter car park, we drive up to Poads Road End/Levin and walk in to Waiopehu hut or Te Matawai (depends on how people feel...)

And on Saturday we might have a short expedition to Arete (for the view!) and get back via Ohau river and North Ohau Hut (I'd love to hut-bag that!).

Return will be on Saturday, 6PM .

If you are interested, please contact me, phone: o 21 o 4994 o 2.

Cheers, Achim

View as RSS news feed in XML