Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help

Mukamuka Munter

•  28-05-2007, 5:37 PM

Mukamuka Munter

Hi all, a bunch of Wellington multi-sporters have organised a mountain run/competitive tramp as a fundraiser for an international competition they are hoping to go to.

See attachment for the details but salient points are:

• The race course is the Mukamuka stream tramp i.e. Orongorongo river -> Turakirae head ->Mukamuka stream -> South Saddle (of Mt Matthews) -> Orongorongo river -> Catchpool valley (i.e. the last part of the race is the route to/from this years bushball).
    • Can compete as a runner or tramper (trampers must race with a 15kg pack...)
    • Prizes for fastest person over 100kg and less than 60kg....
    • Prize for the most represented club - yay!  This is our chance to shine!

So, I hope to see you all at the start line for this excellent event (you'll all be fighting fit after mid year)!

If you don't want to compete Shane is looking for helpers, details below.

> aside from entry I am on the lookout for marshals. What I need is:

For the run:

- Run tail end charlie. Someone to walk / trot behind the last placed racer and confirm that no-one gets lost. (Yeah, ok. This one is a bit of effort).

- Mukumuku Valley entrance marshal “ to ensure people go up the right valley. Best entrance is from the end of Western Lake Road in the Wairarapa. Drive in access is possible if you have a trail bike or a 4wd (and know how to drive either). Otherwise a 4 km (ish) return walk. Again, nice on a nice day

- South Saddle Morale booster someone to tramp into South Saddle from Catchpool Creek, with chocolates and jelly beans, and hand them out to the runners as they pass through. This one could be an overnighter (camp on the saddle) or an early morning start. A bit of fun if you fancy a night out...kinda cool if you take a a 'friend' along!...

As this is a fundraiser I cannot offer too much $$ I will provide some chocolate and a $10 petrol voucher. You are allowed to mock anyone as they pass. If you are keen and able to help please let me know.

Richie
View Complete Thread