Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Freshers 2009

Last post 07-05-2009, 3:36 PM by adam. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  06-05-2009, 9:29 PM 4309

Freshers 2009

Freshers 2008 was absolutely massive. We had a full bus and quite a few cars along as well. So when we were struggling to fill a bus this year I was a little concerned but decided numbers counted for nothing and Freshers 2009 was going to be great anyway!

It was the first club trip I'd taken as president, and the first time I'd tried to lead a trip with so many people along. So I was a little bit uptight however I thought I did quite well on the Friday night and even getting people away from camp on Saturday morning. But it didn't last long... Having only just crossed the Waiohine road end bridge I was quite looking forward to the gentle stroll up to Totara flats but that mood disappeared instantly when I turned around to count 15 people on the swing bridge. Well in excess of it's safe loading limit. After blowing my top and swearing a bit I decided it was best I walk by myself for a bit and cool off :) So after a good 15 minutes of power along the track I was feeling much better and found a good spot with a view over the river to await the arrival of my group.

I managed to relax a bit after that and turn a blind eye to many other mis-adventures. As always the stop on the river bank for lunch was enjoyed by all. Adam took the opportunity to head up stream for a fly fish (no joy), several people wet for a swim (not sure if any of them meant to), and some people (who will remain nameless) tried to catch an eel with... a biscuit.

Once at Totara flats I had my group pitch our fly and set up camp fairly smartly so we could enjoy the rest of the afternoon without fear of what the weather might do. A couple of us braved the cold river water for a swim and some diving off the rocks on the far side. I may have threatened to drag some of the watchers into the river and when that didn't go down well I may also have found a very large rock and dropped it in the river next to them producing a large splash of water soaking the only one who didn't see it coming.

Dinner was quite varied between the groups and it was good to see that nachos were present in more than one group. Some ate normal tramping slops. My group ate well with four courses! We must of taken our eyes of the pyro's for a moment because despite it still be very light there was smoke coming from the river bank. The bonfire was already well underway!

Several people had remembered to bring marshmallows so they made the rounds. It was quite interesting seeing the different cooking techniques, but I maintain that patience, slow cooking and not letting it burn produces the best marshmallow.

Now I have to say a big up to Marty, Alan and Rob for being anti social and staring the rock circle. There was much spare room around the fire so they decided they hated us all and would started their own circle off to the side, in the dark. As the night wore on more and more people joined the rock circle and, as per the covenant of the rock, those that left were promptly stoned to death. At some point I stood up and realised I was quite drunk. Now the rest of the night is a bit of a blur but I do remember agreeing to something quite stupid. Rob and I were quite fond of our rocks, so much so we decided that we really couldn't leave them behind and should take them home with us...

I woke the next morning having completely forgotten this exchange, thank god! But... Rob hadn't. Now neither of us were that keen to be carrying a 13kg rock up and over to Holdsworth Lodge, but being men* we would, of course, not admit it.

An uneventful, albeit slightly longer and more difficult, few hours walk saw us at Holdsworth Lodge in time for a few quick sausages before herding everyone down to the bus and hitting the road back to Wellington.

* plural of "Man". Man defined below:

I don't live off of yogurt, diet coke, or cottage cheese.
    I don't *** to my girlfriends about the size of my breasts.
    I can get where I want to - north, south, east or west.
    I don't get wasted after only 2 beers,
    and when I do drink I don't end up in tears.
    I won't spend hours deciding what to wear.
    I spend 5 minutes max fixing my hair.
    And I don't go around checking my reflection
    in everything shiny from every direction.
    I don't whine in public and make us leave early,
    and when you ask why get all bitter and surly.
    I'm glad I'm a man, I'm so glad I could sing.
    I don't have to sit around waiting for that ring.
    I don't gossip about friends or stab them in the back.
    I don't carry our differences into the sack.
    I'll never go psycho and threaten to kill you
    or think every guy out there's trying to steal you.
    I'm rational, reasonable, and logical too.
    I know what the time is and I know what to do.
    And I honestly think its a privilege for me
    to have these two balls and stand when I pee.
    I live to watch sports and play all sorts of ball.
    It's more fun than dealing with women after all.
    I won't cry if you say it's not going to work.
    I won't remain bitter and call you a jerk.
    Feel free to use me for immediate pleasure.
    I won't assume it's permanent by any measure.
    Yes, I'm so very glad I'm a man, you see.
    I'm glad I'm not capable of child delivery.
    I don't get all bitchy every 28 days.
    I'm glad that my gender gets me a much bigger raise.
    I'm a man by chance and I'm thankful it's true.
    I'm so glad I'm a man and not a woman like you!

Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  07-05-2009, 10:53 AM 4310 in reply to 4309

Re: Freshers 2009

If being a man means you're silly enough to haul a 13kg rock out from totara flats to holdsworth, I think most women will agree they are happier as they are!

•  07-05-2009, 12:11 PM 4311 in reply to 4310

natalie:

If being a man means you're silly enough to haul a 13kg rock out from totara flats to holdsworth, I think most women will agree they are happier as they are!

True, a person who decides to carry a 13kg rock out is silly, but that doesn't make them less happy. In fact, only a very happy person would be happy to carry out a great big f#&king rock. It is better to be a man!

Go men!!!!

Adam Williams
    Ex-President
    021 239 9543
  •  07-05-2009, 12:20 PM 4312 in reply to 4310

Yussss!!! Gender war! Gender war! Gender war!
    Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  07-05-2009, 12:40 PM 4313 in reply to 4312

Trust me, they weren't looking happy.

A woman would have realised from the outset that carrying a heavy rock up a hill would not make her happy.

A man only realises this half way up the hill and is too stubborn to admit it.

•  07-05-2009, 12:55 PM 4314 in reply to 4313

Real happiness comes from within.

A woman could not understand that carrying the rock was not objective.

A man would understand the objective was to challenge ones commitment, and self belief. The goal is not to carry the rock, but a battle with ones inner self. There is no hill, only self doubt.

Jason
    activnz@gmail.com
  •  07-05-2009, 3:36 PM 4315 in reply to 4314

Wow Jason,

That is amazing. You have officially blown my mind and convinced me, once more, that it is best to be a man. I'll drink a Taj to that.

Adam Williams
    Ex-President
    021 239 9543
View as RSS news feed in XML